Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often see cars restored with satin black or semi-gloss black on the suspension and other undercarriage parts. I am currently restoring a low miles 1956 Giulietta Spider, and the original paint I am finding is pretty glossy, looking almost like fully gloss black. Specifically, I found good original paint on the inside of my lower clutch cover, transmission mount, chassis crossmember, and various other mechanical bits. Is everyone else seeing the same thing?

I am also finding a lot of white paint marks that look like assembly indicators showing a part has been properly torqued or adjusted. Has anyone else seen the same?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I am anxious to hear the responses to your questions. My '57 Spider is currently a "body-in-white", after bodywork and paint were recently completed. I'm leaning towards a semi-matte black for the suspension bits.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Since Gordon bought his 101 new in ‘65 maybe he remembers. I did a lot of paint research here, and documented my 101’s parts before I stripped them. One thing is for sure, black paint can get dull after 60 years. It’s not going to get glossy. Your 750 may have had different paint than later cars, or the same. Most past discussions related to “mechanical bits” seemed to be that Alfa was inconsistent at best at applying paint. The one thing I found inconsistent in restorations here was the 750 to 101 steering box color. My 101’s was painted black. I stripped it by hand. Yours was not, if I’m not mistaken. I now confirmed that was a 101 paint change. There are great threads on the little and large parts colors here. I lost most of my saved folders of those, sadly.

I went with semi-gloss (leaning towards the satin side) black on my suspension parts. I found very little glossy black parts. Not glossy inside the clutch cover. Zero white paint marks. I tried to replicate the black oxide color at the platers on anything that was originally treated in that method too. I’m going to live with what I have done and try not to stew on shades of black!

Your car sounds amazingly preserved. Please share those photos. My car was under 24K, but was not stored, undriven until just under 13 years of casual use. Paint shade changes. My interior floors looked almost flat red. They aren’t now.

If you find original parts that you are sure of as that color and sheen, keep them the same during your restoration and document each. Can’t go wrong with that....unless someone else did it before you some time in the last 64 years.

Good luck.
4404A67D-4985-4C3D-97BE-B27CCD8516CB.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am embarrassed that I did not take better photos of the black chassis bits, but I don't plan to show the car, only use if for my own pleasure. I have attached what I have. One shot is of the steering column that was protected by the outer column under the dash. The clutch cover and crossmembers looked the same. I am holding a gloss black sample washer from my powder coating shop for comparison. You can see that is only slightly less glossy than the sample, but did it start life that way, or has it dulled down from full gloss over the last 65 years? Hard to tell.

I have also attached photos of some of the white paint marks. They are in places that make sense, like the steering gear and brake pedal, as well as the clutch linkage. I know other manufacturers did this on the assembly line in that period, so I am assuming for now that they are original.

Barn, I like the photo of your front wheel well, and I am planning on doing a similar treatment on mine. The body color inner surface looks wrong to me somehow, but it seems that is how they were. I am planning to use some of sort of paintable undercoating on the underside of the floorboards and tunnel, then paint body color on top of it. My understanding is that Alfa didn't use undercoat in these areas, but I like the rust protection and sound deadening. Like I said, this car is for my driving pleasure, not a show car.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mine originally had paint over undercoating under the fenders, etc. I too had the entire undercarriage protected with a sound deadening chip guard treatment and body color over that as well as just the floors inside. The floors were not treated in ‘61 with undercoating on mine, but should be better and last longer too under everything that lies on top anyway. Good luck. The true experts will chime in here soon to help you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts