Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I'm having a tough time finding torque settings on the spider. I do have the work shop manual. But, only find torque settings on some stuff but not on others?

Anyway... Right now I need settings for the upper and lower A arms...

On the upper:

1. The setting on the center support arms nut

2. the bolt/nut that secures the support arms

3. The nut for the ball joint (has the locking ring)

Lower:

1) Support nuts

2. Big nut (special tool) for ball joint.

and all bolts/nuts that hold the support plate on... Also rear axle settings.
Basically I need all suspension torque settings and settings to attach to frame...

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know where to find a list of torque settings?

or guys not following any settings?

I assume after replacing the ball joints and shims it is impossible to have the ring clip match the old drilled slots... are you re-drilling the slots? This is what I plan to do.....

Anybody?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Todd,

It is possible to match the ball joint securing ring old/original slotts, in fact I think one should, I succeded with it, but initially was not easy untill I finally figured out how to do it, then it took no time at all, unfortunately can´t recall any more how I did.

Maybe someone with better memory will chime in here?

Dennis

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dennis... Really???? seems impossible as the new ball joint can be different and require more/less shims.... I figured the factory put the A-arm together and then drilled....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Todd, can´t say for sure as I´m no expert at any of this and yes, maybe the big nut in the bottom wasn´t all that tight, but with the ring secured it shoudn´t have anywhere to go, or could it....???

Very curious though if someone who knows better chimes in here and lessons us up.....

Dennis

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
On the other hand should the ball joints be changed at least once or twice in 50 year´s life and I didn´t find any extra slots on neither of them.....

Dennis

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe someone will chime in... did you use any torque settings on the other suspension bolts?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yepp, now I remember the trick, I never pulled the maximum torque in order to get the ring ends back into the old slot holes again, the nut could be a quarter or a half of a revolution too loose.

Torque settings - see post #5

Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts