Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone post some detailed photos of the spare tire holder on a 101 spider. My current restoration is missing the flat stock bar that wraps around the tire and I need some photos to fabricate a new piece.

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Was it always missing? Is there an indication one was once welded to the bottom pieces?
I ask as my late '65 1600 Spider Veloce arrived new with 4 165 (not 155) Pirelli Cinturatos, and no spare tire, spare tire hoop, or bracket to hold the spare in place. This car was an Ausca prepared race car shortly after it arrived from N.J. but the hoop was not removed, it was never there. The car had several other non standard features from new.
For street use, where I felt a spare tire was needed, I fabricated a leather strap that functions to hold the spare, and looks period correct for a factory race car.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Also the Spiders all had round bar frames, excepting the 1960 cars which had flat bar - I would guess this coincided with the fixed hood period, but both our '60's are like this (08930 and 10990) while Dad's '57 02806 has the round bar frame

One of those Interim things

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
My black '60 Spider Veloce race car had a flat bar.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Tony all the flat ones I've seen on various resto projects, etc, etc have been on late '59 & '60 cars.

Your car was a race car for years & that tyre rack is an easy way to lose a few pounds, I would guess that it's a replacement looking at your pictures, but once again there seem to be no absolutes

Can other Spider owners have a quick look at their cars & comment including their chassis numbers & we can narrow this one down a bit for Tony - Grazie !!

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Tony all the flat ones I've seen on various resto projects, etc, etc have been on late '59 & '60 cars.

Your car was a race car for years & that tyre rack is an easy way to lose a few pounds, I would guess that it's a replacement looking at your pictures, but once again there seem to be no absolutes

Can other Spider owners have a quick look at their cars & comment including their chassis numbers & we can narrow this one down a bit for Tony - Grazie !!

Aye
Greig
My car 02516, was a race car and the flat rack was cut out and discarded along with the bumper brackets in the rear ( Safety requirements in the day).. Luckily I had the bumper brackets in the stash of parts that came with it. Not having access to the internet but having a tube type 101 style rack at my disposal, it now has that..and will remain that way. If your basket case cars are missing these parts and have holes for roll bars and plastic windscreens, it's a fair chance the car has seen track action in it's past. I guess 40 years from now some pinhead will say the car is incorrect when they see it at a C&C. I'll be 110 years old and say, "Sonny, back in the day when we were burning gasoline, we did these things to automobiles." Uncle

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was it always missing? Is there an indication one was once welded to the bottom pieces?

There is there are 2 pieces underneath the 2 base support bars where it looks like the flat stock piece was cut off years ago.

My car is a late 59 veloce I believe, 7526.

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
This is an indication that yours was removed, so as we have seen in the above posts, it should be the flat assembly you need , or need to re-manufacture, Mike. Fortunately the flat version is easier to bend than the tubular hoop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts