Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Could you please recommend a panel supplier for Giulietta parts?

I am just about to start on my 750d and I will needs some bits.

I'm on the west coast of Canada, so someone in North America would be preferred , but quality of parts and service are more important to me.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Biondi in Italy - Lamierati stampati per auto d'epoca - alfa romeo, lancia, fiat, autobianchi - Lamierati stampati per auto d'epoca - alfa romeo, lancia, fiat, autobianchi

I've never dealt with them, but folks who have praise their panels, while Wolf steel in Canada has received somewhat less than stellar recommendations..... Alfa Romeo 750 101 Roadster Body Panels

Or you could contact Alejandro - this is his blog - Maniglie interne Porta NOS | Spiderveloce's Blog, he bought a nose and his body guy ended up making one as there was a delay in supply, so he now has a spare....

Not my parts & my NOS nose panel is definitely not for sale !

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
There´s also a member of this forum called Senad (Croatia) that fabricates very nice panels incl. noses. There even were some posts here on the subject.

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
The one on e-bay is REAL and it WILL fit. I've one like it, NFS. Mine has been used to make a "buck" for a Ferrari / Alfa restoration shop. They like it as it is "correct".

·
Registered
10 Posts
nose panel 750 alfa in Langley BC

Hi everyone,

Could you please recommend a panel supplier for Giulietta parts?

I am just about to start on my 750d and I will needs some bits.

I'm on the west coast of Canada, so someone in North America would be preferred , but quality of parts and service are more important to me.

Thanks in advance!

Rich
Please call -- I have nos panel hanging on wall .
Laurie Fraser 604 534 3410

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

It looks like Laurie is really close by so I will meet him and see the panel on the weekend. Hopefully that will work.

Can someone advise me on how to tell if it's an ALFA NOS part?

I did look at Biondi but was scared off by the language barrier and distance.

I talked to Robin at Wolf and he seems nice and is available to make up the panels within a week, right now. I did have a problem with a long wait on parts with them in the past, but that was over 10 years ago. I can't remember much about the quality.

I looked at the NOS panel on Ebay. It seemed a bit dear to me, especially when Wolf con supply it new for $800. A lot of the time , you get what you pay for, and I don't want to throw money away on a bad part but three times the price...eeep. I see that proper fit has been an issue from the comments here, so again if someone can advise me on what to look for in the panel, that would be great. Or do you find out just as you fit the piece?

I looked at the panel from Croatia. It seems like it is in Croatia. I wonder about freight costs/ timeline. Not exactly the 100 mile ALFA diet.

Hi Gordon. The ALFA panel I will see on the weekend is black primer, about 20 years old. The one on Ebay is white. Could this other one be an ALFA part?

Thanks Everyone!

Rich

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Hi Rich,
Those that have original panels today are pretty careful to maintain the original parts sticker as seen below. New panels from Alfa were generally primed in lighter colors. Most are the grey you see. Darker primers are used under darker colors. I'm not aware that Alfa was importing Giulietta / Giulia panels as recently as the 1990's. Most are MUCH older. I suspect, if the panel in question is primed a dark color and is an Alfa factory original panel, it was reprimed to preserve the surface from corrosion. Sand through the dark primer, looking for signs of the factory grey. Note on the picture below, where the parts sticker has dried up and disapperaed on the top left, the original primer color can be seen underneath from the 1960's when this panel probably arrived in the USA.
I hope this is helpfull.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really helpful!

Thanks Gordon.

I'll look for the primer and use your photos as a guide.

Your nose looks good up on the wall, I wouldn't sell it either.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Rich, its your choise, but I would be veeeery careful with Wolf panels, I have no experiance with them myself but all I´ve read through the years here on the Board and elsewhere were complains, complains and complains. The relatively cheap price of $800 can turn to much more when your body guy will at the best case have to redo it all.
I´ve once experianced this myself with other panels from the belgian supplier Erik (something) and it was thrown out money outright (despite some people recomending him), finally I ended with doing new panels myself.....

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Some, not all, reproduction panels may have most of the difficult rough fabrication done, but the final fit IS the most difficult and time consuming part of the replacement job.
Savings on a partially reproduced panel may make it more difficult for final fitting IF that panel is not a perfect reproduction, as Dennis points out above.
The fit of the factory panel is correct, and the reason the shop I use made bucks from my factory nose panel.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
A friend made a thick glass fibre mould of my NOS nose panel and used it to tap a dented portion of his car's nose back to into the correct shape. The mould fitted the undamaged portions of his car perfectly.

Gordon is right on the money when he says that the fit is spot-on when dealing with Factory panels. Poor fitting panels need lots of work and lots of filler.........

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I could use one of these plus a pair of front guards ...
If anyone knows where these rare beasts may be found, please let me know.
Otherwise it's the hammers, the welder and filler.
Chris

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
They do appear on e-bay, USA e-bay shows one about every 2 years. All I've watched are priced in the $2000, 2500 range. Good panel beater work costs more. Keep looking and check with all old Alfa part hoarders. They do exist. I found my "wall-art" some years ago as a preventative measure for my undamaged '65 Spider Veloce. Figured if I had a spare, I migh never need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts