Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether the Giulietta Spider 101 series (mine's a 1960 car) was originally fitted with the drop-down curtain to hide the hood & spare wheel recess behind the seats. I believe the earlier 750 cars had this curtain, but am told the later 101 series cars did not, which seems a retrograde step to me as clearly the curtain performs a useful function. Any definative information on the subject would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
There should be a drop-down curtain in the spare wheel recess behind the seats on your car, I have one on my 1600 ´62 Spider and a friend has one on his 1300 ´61 Spider as well.
If you´re based in Europe, you can source one from Elvezio, otherwise I guess the US vendors can supply one too. You can also let stitch, or stitch one yourself, would be probably half the cost.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Does anyone know whether the Giulietta Spider 101 series (mine's a 1960 car) was originally fitted with the drop-down curtain to hide the hood & spare wheel recess behind the seats. I believe the earlier 750 cars had this curtain, but am told the later 101 series cars did not, which seems a retrograde step to me as clearly the curtain performs a useful function. Any definative information on the subject would be helpful.
As I understand it, some '60 models had the back of the top permanently mounted to the top of the rear deck. Meaning it didn't unhook and stow down and below the rear deck (behind the seats). The window was left on top and exposed. These models I believe had snaps along the back edge of the top (below the rear plastic window) and the cover (drape) snapped over the window and top then draped down behind the seats and snapped. Look under the rear deck and you should see small tube like loops that the drape was held in place with a wire threaded through the drape and the loops. If you don't have them, then your car probably had the top as described above.

George

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be a drop-down curtain in the spare wheel recess behind the seats on your car, I have one on my 1600 ´62 Spider and a friend has one on his 1300 ´61 Spider as well.
If you´re based in Europe, you can source one from Elvezio, otherwise I guess the US vendors can supply one too. You can also let stitch, or stitch one yourself, would be probably half the cost.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis - I'm based in Europe and I shall probably need to source a curtain - who is Elvezio ? I should probably know, but I'm new to this game. Roger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George - thanks for the detailed info. My car is currently being restored and as it was completely stripped before restoration, I guess all evidence of whether it did or did'nt have a curtain may have been removed. My restorer says there is no curtain, so it sounds as though I shall have to source a curtain myself and fit post-restoration. From what I can ascertain from yourself and others, all Spiders had them in one form or another.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here are instructions from a 1961 instruction book/owners manual. I believe common to 60-61 spiders. The protective cover/convertible boot snaps to the rear edge of the top, also at a single point at the quarter panel and again at the floor.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts