Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any copies of original brochures - thought there might be a pdf somewhere, but no. Could someone tell me if leather trim was available as a factory option?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I do not think that leather trim was an option for the Giulietta 750/101 Spiders. I would have had my 1957 750 Spider seats recovered in leather if that was an original factory option. I restored my Spider more than forty years ago and do not remember seeing any 750/101 Spider with leather seats and none of my eleven Alfas had leather seats for an option. I would like to buy a 4C and hope that it has leather seats.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Contact elvezio.com in Italy with this question, they are among the biggest upholstery wholesale operators in the world and they should know for sure.

I personally do not think leather was a factory option for 750/101 Spiders, nor Sprints either for that matter.....

Dennis

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I suspected that was the case as I've never seen original seats upholstered in leather. I wonder why that was? Was vinyl thought to be a more practical material for a convertible? The cars weren't cheap in their day, so its surprising that leather wasn't an option. I was toying with the idea of using leather as I suppose it's acceptable as a 'later upgrade'..... but I stand to be corrected!

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Yes to both Spider & Sprint, I'm sure Uncle Rick will step in with regard to more on the Spiders, but it's definitely in my copy of the Sprint options catalogue - Dealer order & the Factory would trim it the way you wanted...at a cost

Options listed here - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/160774-giulietta-750-options-including-wheels.html

This thead sees Uncle R reminding us that Spiders also wore leather - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/180229-spider-trunk-boot-question.html

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes to both Spider & Sprint, I'm sure Uncle Rick will step in with regard to more on the Spiders, but it's definitely in my copy of the Sprint options catalogue - Dealer order & the Factory would trim it the way you wanted...at a cost

Options listed here - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/160774-giulietta-750-options-including-wheels.html

This thead sees Uncle R reminding us that Spiders also wore leather - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/180229-spider-trunk-boot-question.html

Ciao
Greig
Thank you for those references Greig. I'm sorry but that one didn't come up in my forum search. Very interesting to read that debate. I was puzzled because I would have thought that you could have pretty much anything you wanted to special order. That was not uncommon for a quality car in those days. I'm surprised that there are no scanned brochures available on the net with details of options.

I used to have an SS (now in Argentina) and that was originally trimmed in leather.

Incidentally, my Spider was originally supplied to South Africa and was Black! Seems like a crazy choice for the country.... I expect you could have cooked an egg on it!

I'm torn whether or not to use leather because the quality of leather today is so different to that of the 50's and 60's. What is nice is that leather acquires 'patina', whilst vinyl stays the same.

p.s. I loved that photo of the two tone lightweight Sprint... harks back to the 1900 series cars.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I looked at the Giulietta options list and do not see any leather interior. I recently restored my Father's 1961 Sprint Veloce which was purchased in either September or October 1961. The car had rear seat cushions and I installed a Nardi steering wheel in 1970. I did not know that the Nardi wheel was an option for Giulietta cars, but paid $50.00 for the wheel. I am going to replace the entire interior next week and would have used leather for the seats, but the car was delivered with white/gray cloth and dark blue vinyl seats. I drove a 1961 Sprint Zagato in 1974 and thought that the seats were covered in black vinyl or black leather. I cannot remember if the seats were leather covered.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts

Ciao
Greig
OMG.. not with a 10 ft pole..I'm going into the witness protection program and I won't be called The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Matt seems to have a ring in it tho'. Running from live grenades is not fun.

·
Super Moderator
11,579 Posts
Heres what I know about 1600 Spiders. At Knauz Continental Autos in Lake Forest Illinios, in 1964 Bill Knauz said he was unable to order a 1600 Spider from Italy with leather. However, he also felt that leather could be had from Alfa Romeo USA, pre delivery, but it would be done in the USA.
I wouldn't call that factory leather. We need one of our older (like me) Italian enthusiasts that lived in Italy, and saw them delivered there, to be sure that the non-USA cars did not have leather either.
My 65 1600 Veloce Ausca Spider, the last Giulia Bill Knauz sold, had Alfa hide. No leather.
That's all I know that I would bet on.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Perhaps here is the answer to the question: In all your (our) collective years of Giulietta motoring, have you ever seen a car with a leather "job" that had a credible 50+ years of patina on it? I think it's possible that out of the list of options we've all seen in early factory literature, some of them were never really available. Like that cool Sprint foglight "option".

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I agree that none of the Giulietta cars used leather interior. I have been driving my 101 Sprint Veloce since 1968 and never saw any Giulietta with leather seats or leather interior except for a 101 Sprint Zagato that might have had leather seats. I know that my 1957 750 Spider, my Father's 1958 Spider, friend's 1959 Spider, 1961 SS, and other Giulietta cars used either cloth/vinyl or vinyl interiors. I believe that it is possible that someone ordered leather seats from Alfa Romeo in Europe, but when I purchased new Alfas in Los Angeles I was never able to order a car from Italy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I looked at the Giulietta options list and do not see any leather interior.
I do not know about spider (probably not) but there was a Sprint option (I think "interni in pelle" means leather interior).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do not know about spider (probably not) but there was a Sprint option (I think "interni in pelle" means leather interior).

Thanks for that! I've translated the text approximately as follows:

Finishing processing and special acessories for Giulietta Sprint and Giulietta Sprint Veloce cars. This brochure of Carrozeria Bertone (in Italian, French and English) shows the modifications available for the Giulietta Sprint in 1958: fog lights, "bertone sport steering wheel", air deflectors (?fitted to side windows?), chrome wheel rims, special varnish (?paint colours?), leather interior, Other special accessories including dedicated suitcases (left image)

Does such a brochure exist for the Spider?

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
There obviously were two corrals that Alfa owned in an attempt to become vertically integrated like Henry Ford owning his own forests to build "woodies". One corral was marked Bertone and the other Pininfarina....they both had sheep in them.. Bertone had cattle, too.... Please don't go searching Wikipedia for their location.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Gotta love google translate

front fog lights, Bertone Sports steering wheel, volets(flaps?) air deflectors, chrome bands for wheel rims, special paint and leather interior as well as special accessories including dedicated suitcases

*and I'm too late :)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I think that I am going to ask Thomas Pocius if he ever put leather seats in a Sprint. I wonder what dark blue leather seats would look like in my Sprint Veloce.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 1958 sprint options brochure shows:

Fitted luggage
Two styles of rear seat, a simple cushion and a proper seat with backrest
Fog lights
Wood rim wheel
Quarter lights
Rimbellishers
Special varnish finish
Colour matching facia panel
Electric horns - Marchal Roadmaster or FIAMM
Radio
Upholstery in leather, leather and cloth, or plastic leather with single or double colour scheme.

The option brochure is page 50 on in the 50th anniversary Sprint book.

Interested me because my car has the rear cushion and two colour trim (with plastic leather!)

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I spoke to person who is very well known for his work in interior restorations. He has replaced car interiors that have won Pebble Beach Concours and asked him if he had ever seen a Giulietta with original leather interior. The answer was no and asked him if my 101 Sprint Veloce would look good with leather seats. He did not think that leather seats would look good with the cloth and vinyl interior. I had to admit that leather seats would look out of place in my car. He said that vinyl was used in interiors in the late 1940's and that cars made before that time were covered in leather or cloth. I would like to see an original Giulietta leather interior.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
I spoke to person who is very well known for his work in interior restorations. He has replaced car interiors that have won Pebble Beach Concours and asked him if he had ever seen a Giulietta with original leather interior. The answer was no and asked him if my 101 Sprint Veloce would look good with leather seats. He did not think that leather seats would look good with the cloth and vinyl interior. I had to admit that leather seats would look out of place in my car. He said that vinyl was used in interiors in the late 1940's and that cars made before that time were covered in leather or cloth. I would like to see an original Giulietta leather interior.
I wonder if Thomas (no relation) restored cars. Uncle.. I'll ask him on Sunday.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My mind is made up..... vinyl it is!

Thanks for all the valuable feedback, cryptic and otherwise!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts