Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spider restoration is inching towards the finishing post - the final days are proving very frustrating as I can't wait to get her on the road, and the UK summer doesn't last very long.
The steering wheel boss has been cleaned up, and I see it has the words "Giuliietta Special" on it.
Initially I was excited, thinking maybe my car was some sort of "Special", but from looking at pictures of other Spiders they all seem to be Specials!
Is there a story behind the use of Special?
Alan

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
My Spider restoration is inching towards the finishing post - the final days are proving very frustrating as I can't wait to get her on the road, and the UK summer doesn't last very long.
The steering wheel boss has been cleaned up, and I see it has the words "Giuliietta Special" on it.
Initially I was excited, thinking maybe my car was some sort of "Special", but from looking at pictures of other Spiders they all seem to be Specials!
Is there a story behind the use of Special?
Alan
That's one of the better inquiries we've had lately..especially since it is an English, not Italian, spelling. Who ever knows this should get a year's supply of flocking .....or something... I assume the "boss" you refer to is actually the center plastic button for the flashers/horns (which ever way you want it wired)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes "boss" is the UK word for the centre plastic button.
Could it be something as simple as sprints, spiders etc are regarded as Special compared to run of the mill saloons/sedans?
Interesting the use of the English word "Special", did the Italians use it as we would use the word "Coupe" a bit sexier by using a foreign word?
Whilst we're on the subject, how do Italians pronounce the word "Spider"?
Is it the English way, or literally as an Italian word (speedayr?)

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Yes "boss" is the UK word for the centre plastic button.
Could it be something as simple as sprints, spiders etc are regarded as Special compared to run of the mill saloons/sedans?
Interesting the use of the English word "Special", did the Italians use it as we would use the word "Coupe" a bit sexier by using a foreign word?
Whilst we're on the subject, how do Italians pronounce the word "Spider"?
Is it the English way, or literally as an Italian word (speedayr?)
according to Google Translator--as you say, "speedayr"

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Well, shucks. I've always been baffled as to why the Spider center button has "Special" on it, and I was hoping this thread would produce a definitive answer. But.........

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
It hasn't grown hair yet, Bob... someone will come up with it. I suspect it was a Hoffman influence. I'll say he wanted Super as the first Veloces were named that here, but Super was in the books at AR designating a coming design so maybe they compromised. Still doesn't explain why Spider wasn't used. Don Black might know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts