Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reviewing a number of the available options for Giulietta series cars sheet metal I have embarked in manufacturing my own. Here is a prototype of the structural pieces for a Giulietta Spider consisting of rocker panels as well as all and internal components. Also we will be making floor pans, trunk floors, and more to come. All these pieces and others will be available for sale.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,034 Posts
Hi Lionel,
When I did my AUSCA spider, I made the internal parts slightly heavier gauge, omitted the holes, and welded full length in place of the spot welds. Skip McCabe's shop did the fabrication for me. The outer round rocker panel was original gauge. This firmed up the chassis to as new. My damage was racing stresses popping the welds loose, and the inner structures twisting as a result. Something to consider.
I'm happy someone here (USA) will be making up these parts, and I know your reputation for high quality will extend to your repair panels!

·
Registered
481 Posts
It is my understanding that the holes (Punched with slight flange) will actually add strength to the member, plus reduce weight. I know that not all small fabricators have that kind of equipment on hand. Regards Ian

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is my understanding that the holes (Punched with slight flange) will actually add strength to the member, plus reduce weight. I know that not all small fabricators have that kind of equipment on hand. Regards Ian
Ian, All the parts will be as original with all required punched holes. This is only a crossed sectional pattern so that we can see how all the pieces fit together. Notice that we also simulated the floor section for orientation purposes only.

Lionel

Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Lionel,
When I did my AUSCA spider, I made the internal parts slightly heavier gauge, omitted the holes, and welded full length in place of the spot welds. Skip McCabe's shop did the fabrication for me. The outer round rocker panel was original gauge. This firmed up the chassis to as new. My damage was racing stresses popping the welds loose, and the inner structures twisting as a result. Something to consider.
I'm happy someone here (USA) will be making up these parts, and I know your reputation for high quality will extend to your repair panels!
Gordon,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. All the internal parts will be made out of 18 gauge steel and the rocker made of 20 gauge steel. Stronger than the original.

·
Super Moderator
12,034 Posts
Thanks Lionel! Just what we needed. I've forwarded this to Skip McCabe, as he has been doing a few Giulia and Giulietta spiders.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hi Alejandro,

That´s a nice blog you have there and I wish I could understand your language, is there any way how to subscribe to it in english, didn´t see any option like that on the site...

Dennis

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks you Denis

Unfortunately, my blog is monolingual: italian only.
You can try to get an on-line translation using google, bablefish or other similar services, but it takes a little imagination to make sense, because the English that comes out is a bit weird.
In any case, we have followers from many different countries and languages :p

@ Lionel: This weekend I 'll meet the 'Rubios'. I don't think I can stop myself from talking about this new initiative :D

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hi Alejandro,

I´m aware of the weird Google, Bablefish and other´s translations, I once asked through Google translation a completely strange guy in France to do inquiery regarding shipping price of some items I wanted to buy from him "in his end", normally meaning where he lives, but the translation produced, doing inquiery in his "rear end", coulon something in french, which I think means a...s, hardly sounding nice or polite in french. Luckily and despite my limited knowlidge of french, I could stop that mail from being send.
But I don´t think I´ll run that risk trying to have your blog translated through this media, so I´ll give it a try.

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lionel

Lionel

I am restoring a Giulia Spider (101) and will almost certainly need new sills. Could you let me have an idea of the cost ex works? I am in the UK.

Best wishes for your project.

Antony

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Thanks you Denis

Unfortunately, my blog is monolingual: italian only.
You can try to get an on-line translation using google, bablefish or other similar services, but it takes a little imagination to make sense, because the English that comes out is a bit weird.
In any case, we have followers from many different countries and languages :p

@ Lionel: This weekend I 'll meet the 'Rubios'. I don't think I can stop myself from talking about this new initiative :D

Hi Alejandro,

Just as an aside, I see that you are using wordpress for your site. I use Google AJAX Translation WordPress Plugin for my website and seems to work ok. It is pretty easy to configure.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I really appreciate and 'll try Google AJAX transl if it is able to give a polite tranlation of "rear end" (Concept you make me LOL :D )

Now please no more OT: this is the Lionel's metal fabrication thread. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
First of all I would like to say that I'm glad to see someone taking on the monumental task of producing high-quality sheet metal replacement parts for the old Alfa's. There's definitely a demand for such parts. My only experience is with the infamous Biondi. I did order floors, rockers, trunk and rear end. His parts are extremely high end! The negatives of ordering from Biondi are the time difference (responses take longer), language barrier (he only speaks Italian), price (USD trading lower than the Euro) and shipping (can only use FedEx and costs 33% of total bill). It would be great to have these parts available in the US. I do have 2 other cars that will need restoring after my '58 Spider gets finished, so I will be in the market for more sheet metal in the future. Will you be fabricating the front nose piece? Also, it would be nice to see seat frames and headers with the correct taper.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
First of all I would like to say that I'm glad to see someone taking on the monumental task of producing high-quality sheet metal replacement parts for the old Alfa's. There's definitely a demand for such parts. My only experience is with the infamous Biondi. I did order floors, rockers, trunk and rear end. His parts are extremely high end! The negatives of ordering from Biondi are the time difference (responses take longer), language barrier (he only speaks Italian), price (USD trading lower than the Euro) and shipping (can only use FedEx and costs 33% of total bill). It would be great to have these parts available in the US. I do have 2 other cars that will need restoring after my '58 Spider gets finished, so I will be in the market for more sheet metal in the future. Will you be fabricating the front nose piece? Also, it would be nice to see seat frames and headers with the correct taper.
Thanks so much for the input. As you mentioned it is a monumental task in producing any sheet metal parts. The equipment cost, the required real to accommodate all that equipmet, labor and a host of other elements that makes it challenging. My advantage thus far has been that I am already engaged in some metal fabrication as well as other lines of business such as manufacturing wiring harnesses that makes it more palpable. Although, I am taking baby steps toward this process; My goal is to increase high quality parts availability at a more reasonable cost without the language barriers, transportation, time costs and delays as well as a few other host of issues that many of you had experienced. I want to make every transaction as easily as possible.

I do not have immediate plans to make a complete nose panels but it is on the back of my mind. I will tell you that I was VERY surprised when I started on my 58 Sprint veloce, where I had many body shops that did not wanted to repair the nose panel but, rather replaced. I hired a panel beater and he repair the panel as new.

Here is an example of what I am offering:

Giulietta spider complete rockers:
couple Underdoor number 6 140.00
couple Underdoor number 5 85.00
couple Underdoor number 3 280.00
couple Underdoor number 2 180.00
couple Underdoor number 1 150.00
couple Underdoor number 7 70.00
couple Underdoor number 8 40.00

Notice that Biondi is charging 945 Euros or $1,364.00. I am offering the same parts for $1,100.00, at a discount for complete assemblies. On individual pieces I will charge 10% less than his quoted price.

Lionel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lionel,
Have you considered producing some that are seam welded instead of spot welded, as Gordon suggested, for greater strength and longevity?
Jim Enloe

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lionel,
Have you considered producing some that are seam welded instead of spot welded, as Gordon suggested, for greater strength and longevity?
Jim Enloe
Jim,

Personally, I would prefer the spot welder option. At least, my preference is based on using my spot welder. The reason I purchased this particular spot welder was primarily for its a 3 phase heavy power with heavy usage production capabilities as well as a well designed unit to perform deep penetrating spot welding. I researched many units currently on the market and the hand held options are not designed for such usage. Once I am closer to the finalizing these rockers I will post some photos.

Lionel

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Rockers and inner sills

Today, was a very long day and the final results are to my complete satisfaction. Here are some photos of the semi-final results. I say semi-final because I still have to finish out the rocker panel end detail finishing. Then, I am done. All pieces are made with corresponding holes sizes and flares to add strength.

Lionel

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts