Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,699 Posts
Be mindful there are both Lucas and Carello buckets, and they're not the same. I'd think Lucas for a Normale, Carello for a Veloce, but it's Alfa, so who knows. My 58 Normale has one of each, but one was replaced in accident repair.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Sorry I took longer to get pics than I expected. I'm not 100% certain what these came from. I think it's a Giulietta because of the cloth-covered wires in one of the buckets and the older phenolic connector. They are approx. 7.75" outside diameter and about 6" inside. The only number I could find was 1384 47A on the rim of one of them. There might be something under the dirt though. If someone can do a better job of identifying them from the pictures, please jump in.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Lucas headlamp buckets were used on all 750 spiders, Carello on 101 and 1600.
Doesn't matter if the car is veloce or not.
DB

·
Premium Member
21,699 Posts
The ones with the little forward-facing threaded screw tab at the bottom are most likely 105/115 Spider. Carello Giulietta have little dart-shaped triangular spring tabs sticking up to grab the chrome rim, along the perimeter, four of them if I remember right.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Darn. I couldn't remember ever seeing a 105 with a cloth wire loom but maybe some of the early Stepnose or Supers did. I know the Duettos (by '66) didn't.

·
Premium Member
21,699 Posts
Just my sense of it, someone with more experience than me may chime in. I think the Lucas rims attached with a grub screw from the side, grabbing a ridge on the bucket? So the threaded boss isn't right for either. As I say, my 58 Normale has one of each (Lucas and Carello), and neither has that boss.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Just my sense of it, someone with more experience than me may chime in. I think the Lucas rims attached with a grub screw from the side, grabbing a ridge on the bucket? So the threaded boss isn't right for either. As I say, my 58 Normale has one of each (Lucas and Carello), and neither has that boss.

Andrew
Not that I have more experience but Andrew is correct. Lucas headlamps assemblies disappeared from the Spider sometime during the interim period. All true 101 should have been fitted with the Carello unit. Personally, I do prefer the Lucas Unit on the Sprints. The Carello units are awkward and very unattractive.

Happy Holidays to all.

Lionel
www.Thegiuliettashop.com

·
Registered
709 Posts
750 Giulietta Spider, Lucas headlamp attaching screw should be at the bottom, 6 o'clock position.
The 101 Carello headlamp bucket has 3 of the small metal pointed tabs that hold the chrome trim ring on.
DB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts