Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun restoration on my 1961 Giulietta Spider Normal and I've been trying to verify the engine. The numbers appear to be correct for the year, the series is 101.03, the VIN # is AR170257 and the motor number is AR00102*24892. Where might I find detail on what the engine is? I'm assuming it is a 1300cc because the hood does not have the scoop, but I would love to find a listing of motor numbers somewhere that confirmed what it is.

Tim

·
Registered
431 Posts
As Chuck mentioned, those Fusi books can be found online with the engine and chassis numbers in them. The ones in Italian may be less expensive but the numbers are the same.

Your ‘61 Spider is about 1400 body numbers before my ‘61 Spider, and your engine is numbered before mine was installed as well. Mine was built and delivered in late December that year. They don’t give up exact matching numbers anymore, but my Fusi book reads similar to your numbers and mine. “Appears” original, for what that’s worth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That you for the info guys. I am still learning to best search for the data here. Such a wealth of it, just need to better figure out how to search.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I was able to verify the original engine number for my 1961 Sprint Veloce thirty years ago. I have been told that Alfa Romeo Archives will no longer give the original engine numbers for 101 and later cars. The 750 cars had identification plates with body number and engine number. The 101 cars do not have identification plates. The body number and engine number are correct for a 1961 101 Spider. The engine is a 1300 cc with a Solex carburetor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts