Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
That color is not in this chip chart that goes back to '65. If it's an Alfa color, it's earlier than that.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Farina Red is lighter than Alfa Red. Cardinal Red, unfortunately, isn't listed in this 1965 on color chart. What is listed though is Bordeaux Red which is darker than Alfa Red.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Paint colors for 750 and 101 Spiders

Here they are from Evan Wilson's book (out of print) Alfa Romeo Giulietta .

Ciao,
I tried to follow the link but it's dead. Restoration of of my '61 Giulietta Spider is beginning and I'd like to know all the colors that were available from the factory (and their codes, if possible). Thanks in advance.

Bob
Denver, CO

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Bob, I have Evan Wilson's book, if you want to look at it some time. Have not looked at it in so long that I did not remember color codes being in it. I will look later tonight. Karen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, Karen, but I've since found another link to it that worked, but it didn't give me the information I was really looking for.

I know about red, black, blue (two shades), white, and gray. What I'm wondering about is something like Ferrari's fly yellow. Anyone ever done that? Or, would that be considered a heretical act? I've heard that back in the day one could order any color but I've never seen an original in other than the five colors noted above. I think a fly yellow car with a black interior (which is what I have) would be stunning.

Bob

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also, there were actually quite a few different shades of blue available for a Spider, and we just went though this in a recent thread. Bluette was a really cool color in my opinion. See more on the Sprints, but looks great on a Spider too. Blue Medio is a great looking color as well. They did have a baby blue color like the one on the GTV you attached. Seen a couple of highly restored cars in that color over the years, and they look really clean.

ALFA ROMEO PAINT CODES

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm. The racing spider looks a lot more orange than I remembered fly yellow being, but I have to agree it doesn't look that great in that particular color. Perhaps I'll play some games with Photoshop to see if any shade of yellow works.

Back in '64, I bought a new Giulia Spider in what I termed at the time Pepsi Cola blue and it was a fabulous color except that the car had a refrigerator-white interior that was impossible to keep clean, especially in NYC where I then lived. I like the practicality of my black interior so may end up with another dreaded red car, although graphite gray is still in the running. I don't think a black interior would work with Pepsi Cola blue and it would be grim with a black exterior. I've had a white Spider and my wife doesn't like that combination.

Bob

·
Registered
9,306 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, Christopher. It appears that yellow was never offered for the 1300/1600 Spiders, with ivory being the closest. Well, it was a thought. Since I still have to strip and prep the car, I've got time to think it through. The car is a Bertone red at the moment, which I like better than the Farina red, but I was hoping to avoid perpetuating the "Alfas are all red" myth by being a bit different.

Bob

·
Registered
335 Posts
I found fly yellow had a similar affect on the body lines of the car as white does. makes the car look bigger. Gray doesn't look that great with black interior in my opinion--needs a red interior for some contrast!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Absolutely, I used a '55 Alfa Grey on my car with a burgundy leather interior. I know the leather is incorrect .....but boy does it smell good!!! It also looks very, very smart and slightly understated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts