Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
According to the auction text, the boat has now a 1600 engine but the original Giulietta 1300 engine is also available.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Wow! That is cool beyond words! If I had any chance of being able to afford this Alfa, I would be there. I love vintage boats [ I have and enjoy a 1975 Steury with original 50hp Johnson], and would be seriously honored to be the custodian and Captain of this fine Craft,,,

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Getting it here from Italy would be interesting. Don't envy that drive. This IS the boat for the Alfa owner that thought they had seen them all. Very nice.

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
The instrument panel and motor are 750 Berlina (750C), 55Hp in standard tune, this would have been the cheapest option available at the time. The 1600 motor must be a *noticeable* improvement on the original 1300.... Steering wheel is standard 750 / 101 item.

The blue paint on the motors is a common thing in nautical circles as it makes it much easier to see oil leaks in a confined engine bay.

Agree on the "hole-in-the-water-that-you-throw-money-into", but this would be a very cool boat to own along with the trailer & tow car !!

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I hear ya Gordon.
Now THAT would be a cool Alfa Road Trip !!

Hmm,,,

What does the price translate to in US?

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
I was raised on sailboats and trained from Day One to hate motorboats, but jeez this is cool, especially the use of so many interior/dash pieces in the ****pit. Was it common on these Alfa-engined boats to use the Giulietta instrument panel, steering wheel, etc.?
What kind of drive would this have to the prop?
Andrew

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
This would look great in the slip at my villa on Lake Como, then after my morning espresso I could just motor over to the Villa D'Este Concorso.....
I should have tried harder in school.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Having had the privilege and honor of working on the repair and restoration of a few Italian Riva power boats during a past life (in the 80's), it is safe to say that in my humble opinion these are undoubtedly the finest powered water craft ever designed and built by mortals.

This one is also the 1st example I have ever seen with the Alfa Romeo powerplant, most having Chrysler 392 hemis.
(and I agree with NMMilano, I should have studied smarter) :eek:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Having had the privilege and honor of working on the repair and restoration of a few Italian Riva power boats during a past life (in the 80's), it is safe to say that in my humble opinion these are undoubtedly the finest powered water craft ever designed and built by mortals.

This one is also the 1st example I have ever seen with the Alfa Romeo powerplant, most having Chrysler 392 hemis.
(and I agree with NMMilano, I should have studied smarter) :eek:
Since you brought this up (and I can't read Italian), can you tell if this example truly is (or is being represented as) a boat manufactured by Riva?

I'm ignorant of the exact usage potential of the term "tipo" in Italian. Seeing all the trim pieces and names (none of which is "Riva"), I have my doubts. Overall I think it might look a bit crude (sorry) for one of theirs.

Not that I'm particularly boat-savvy - though I've enjoyed a few wooden boat shows (mainly Chris-Crafts and Garwoods) at Tahoe and elsewhere.

And not that I wouldn't still love to have it - esp. with that tow vehicle!

·
Registered
732 Posts
"Tipo Riva" means "Style Riva", so it seems a Riva but isn't a Riva, nor is a replica. The towing car and the trailer are not included in the price.

20.000 EUR = 26748 USD (today)

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. With a wonderful history! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
415 Posts
"Tipo Riva" means "Style Riva", so it seems a Riva but isn't a Riva, nor is a replica. The towing car and the trailer are not included in the price.

20.000 EUR = 26748 USD (today)
Thanks, FMG_V6, for validating my suspicions.

Here is a picture of mine, from just before I woke:D

Marreyt Classics - Twin Cam
That is a piece of history - another thank you for sharing the link.

This may seem OT, but bear with me, I'll get there by hook or by crook.. this wartime nautical history prompted me to re-visit one of my favorite boat design stories: that of the Vietnam-era PBR (Patrol Boat, River) - made famous in pop culture primarily via "Apocalypse Now" ('79).

PBR history/dev

The hull development outlined above (fiberglass, Styrofoam) and the PBR's balsa wood topside were especially notable. The powerplant was, unsurprisingly, Detroit Diesel, while the fully rotatable water jets, which gave the craft unparalleled maneuverability - with some penalty in efficiency - were manufactured by ..wait for it.. the Jacuzzi Brothers. Did I mention that I repaired the exhaust system on a Ferrari owned by one of the brothers in the 80's ? The world can seem so very small at times.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts