Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A friend of mine that bought a 750 D in 1958 for his 18th birthday, when the car was only 2 years old, showed me parts that were on that car when he bought it.
He told me that he had to remove them because they were worn-out.

Now, 60 years later, he still drives the car occasionally but everytime when I visite him he asks me if I can find original information about it.
During the years we both tried to figure it out but the result was only based on speculations as we did not find any official information coming from Alfa.

So please, who knows the story of this system or, more important, who has relevant official information and pictures from Alfa about this pulley system with two rims that was used on some early Giuliettas?

Here some questions that we've been asking ourselves several times. Maybe someone can add his ideas about it and help us answering them.
Many thanks !

What was the idea of this construction ?
Was it copied from the Alfa 1900 ? Some types of 1900 cars have it.
Why is it not mentioned in the catalogs ?
Was it for a certain market only or a certain Giulietta type/model only ?
Why was the idea abandoned ?
Does somebody have this parts on his car or has seen them on a car ?

Thanks and rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed alfanatica, they look like the 1900CSS pulleys but the sizes are smaller and the vent is totally different of course.
Thanks ,

Thierry

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I have wokred many Giulietta cars and never saw a double pulley. I have seen a number of 1900 cars but, never bothered to look at the fan pulley.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

I think very few were made indeed, although I just saw a 750 engine with the same double crankshaft aluminium pulley. It didn't have the doubled fan, nor had a generator .

Thierry

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Thierry,

I have a Giulietta aluminum crankshaft and aluminum Marelli generator pulley that I must have purchased from an owner of a light weight Sprint Veloce that was destroyed in a garage fire. The two pulleys have no wear and that is the problem with the aluminum pulleys. I think Alfa used as much aluminum to lighten the 1956-1957 Sprint Veloces and these parts weigh less than the cast iron parts.

John

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
1900s, at least the ones I've worked on, don't have the cast-in alum fan. Pretty cool, I wonder what these are? Police and other severe duty where you had a big generator, heavy electrical load?

Andrew

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi John and Andrew,

Thanks for your input.

Andrew,

Good thinking about the bigger generators for the police cars, they are listed in the catalogs indeed ( for the berlina - ti) but there is no set up for two rims mentioned in the catalogs.

About the Belgian police driving a Giulietta 750 spider on the Belgian roads, I doubt that this was the case. Despite they having forced respect, I can imagine it would have been one laughter after the other when seeing two officers in such a 'service' car ...
The Belgian police was mostly equipped with German cars: the VW beetle, the VW bully and for catching Giulietta spiders, there was always the Porsche Carrera.

I asked my friend for the year of construction of his 750D, it was in the beginning of 1957. Engine number close to 1315.41150, and indeed, this is near the production period of the 1900 CSS.

John,

Of course you could be right but the two engines that I know having aluminium pulleys are definitely standard Giuliettas, no veloce engines. Maybe Alfa experimented with this system on some engines ?

My father was a teacher in auto mechanics and he told me once that the aluminium pulleys weren't any good but that they were a typical example of the post war deficit in ferro metals in Europe in the early fifties, maybe this was still playing half and late the fifties ?
Regarding the doubled pulleys he told me that it was very difficult to get and keep the tention on both rims exactly the same, oftenly resulting in one looser rim causing then early wear on the pulley, especially when they were made from aluminium.

Fwiw, my 750E engine had no aluminium pulleys to make the car lighter.

Any other testimonies about the doubled pulleys or corrections are very appreciated.

Rgds,

Thierry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts