Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this cam cover while perusing ebay (not my part - ebay #293567454991). I have a cam cover with the same number (#1315.12.059) and it's the veloce variety with the larger diameter/low profile nuts. It also has the boss in the back that's not drilled for the air cleaner stud. What I find interesting about this part is the lack of AR script in front & boss in back (intake side). If they were removed it was professionally done as I can't tell they were ever there. Has anyone seen a cam cover like this? If so is it possible they came on some very early cars?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hard to say where exactly it came from … center to center of hold down bolts are something like 190 mm for 750 and 205 for anything later.……. rather sad that somebody polished it so much they took off the Alfa Romeo script

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I have an extra 101 Veloce valve cover and it has the original hold down bolts. I know that the 750 Veloce cover uses the same hold down bolts but, the cover is little smaller than the 101 cover. I have never seen a cover without the Alfa Romeo script.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What kind of valve cover is this?
My manual shows 3 numberd for Berlina, sprint veloce and spider veloce, but not his number

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Frequently the casting number (embossed into casting) is not the same as the replacement part number.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Attached are photos of two 750 cam covers. 750 Normale on the left 750 Veloce on the right. They both have a "boss" at the back of the intake cam side. For the Normale this supports a threaded stud that mounts the air cleaner. For the Veloce the hole is drilled for the stud but NOT threaded as the Veloce mounts the air cleaner on the firewall. In addition, the Veloce uses different hold down nuts that are low profile, serrated and have a larger shaft diameter then the Normale bakelite nuts (750 & "early" 101 Veloces use these nuts). That being said the veloce cover has larger diameter holes for the nuts (the Veloce nuts are held on with snap rings and I was too lazy to remove for the picture).

Both cam covers I'm showing have the same part #: 1315.12.059. The parts book shows different numbers then this (if I recall the Veloce cover is supposed to be 1315.12.069) but every time I come across a 750 cover it has the .059 part number.

Finally, the 750 covers are approximately 1/2" narrower then the later 101 covers and therefore not interchangeable with each other.
2020_05110004.JPG

So theoretically one could open the holes on a Normale cover to accept the Veloce nuts & remove the boss stud and viola you now have a Veloce cover (good luck finding the Veloce nuts!) except the boss hole would still be threaded.

I'm an old Alfa dealer "parts guy" and have been dealing with this stuff for years.

My original posting was of the 750 cover with no boss and no Alfa script that looked like it came from the factory that way.

-John

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I know that you can buy Veloce valve cover hold downs from Alfa Stop or you can put in a want add in the Bullertin. I have a 101 Veloce valve cover with the original Veloce hold downs. The 750 Normale valve cover and 750 Veloce valve cover has larger diameter hold down holes. There is a small 6 mm stud that is used to attach the Normale air cleaner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts