Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Richard Jemison
8,618 Posts
Clutch

have a 59 Giulietta Spider Veloce race car. I am running a Tilton clutch with the mechanical actuator and the clutch is EXTREMELY heavy. My thought was that some assistance from a hydraulic master cylinder/slave cylinder setup would make the clutch lighter. Since its a race car fabrication can be done originality is not necessary. Moving to an aftermarket race setup would be an option.
It`s a common problem. You don`t need hydraulics.

What are you using as a throw-out bearing?
If you are using a 5.5 or 7.25" Tilton pressure plate then YOU MUST use a TO bearing that fits the clutch fingers. You cannot use a factory type (Alfa) release bearing as the OD of the contact plate is way too big for the fingers. The TO bearing should only have a contact area no bigger than a 1/4" diameter larger than the hole in the fingers leaving a contact area of 1/8" on the ends of the fingers. Otherwise the big flat plate is contacting the fingers well up their length multiplying the force needed to release the clutch. This causes far to high a load on release components.

If you are still using the cable release the simple fix us to use the Centerline release bearing adapter and a "modified" F&S release bearing to fit the contact point correctly on the fingers. (the adaptor is machined to fit the F&S bearing only not other aftermarket ones)

I`ve been modifying Alfa release bearings for these applications for many years.

If the BB wasn`t FU`ed I could post a picture.

·
Richard Jemison
8,618 Posts
Clutch

I sent him pics of a modified TO bearing.
Regardless of TO bearing source you need to see how large and the contact point on the fingers to determine it`s a compatible application.

Quit typing and remove the cover and look!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.