Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have first hand knowledge as to the original build specs on a second series vs first series TI Super? Also I was corrected by two knowledgeable experts abroad that there were no panels or doors made out of aluminum but originally fabricated of steel like the regular street going Super or TI. However, watching a UTUBE video featuring a first series TI Super, with David Cirone, he states that there were in fact doors, hood and trunk bonnet made of aluminum. If anyone out there owns on of these beauties and can educate me, that would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The homologation papers state steel and aluminum for the body. I have only ever seen one with aluminum doors and lids ... I always assumed they were factory. All others I have seen had steel doors and lids.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I think the first step is to consult a factory parts manual. TI Super specific parts are generally identified by 105.16 xxxx numbers and, last time I checked (some time back now) I think body panels and interior pieces were listed. If there was a running change that resulted in substitution of steel opening panels for aluminum you may find that catalogued and identified in the official parts listings.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I'm looking at the parts manual. Front fenders for TI and TI Super are 105.14, same part. Same for whole trunk assembly. Doors for TI and TI Super are same, 105.06, Giulia 1300 Berlina. TI and TI Super show 105.06 hood, also 1300 Berlina, though they also show a 105.16 PN for the TI Super, which I think is for the whole assembly with emblems and small non-telescopic strut. Not certain though.

I've heard the stories too re thin gauge steel, alum, etc., but have not seen it corroborated.

This thread should be moved to the Giulia sedan forum.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I had a NOS Ti Super left rear door at one time 105.16 pn. It was steel, I didn’t see anything unique; I don’t know if the standard door had some type of thin mat stuck to the inside of the doors to minimize noise possibility with the flat panels, this door had none.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if the lighter 'thinner door skins' were really just doors without the standard sound deadening...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told to achieve some weight loss the doors and other various panels were dipped in acid to thin the walls of the steel. Sounds crazy, but who knows. Imagine what would happen if the person over seeing the acid dip took a longer than usual coffee break?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I would guess/agree yes, no sound deadening, thin light door cards, the light Zagatoesque seats, no glove box door, etc. I will ask around.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I talked to a TI Super owner, he says the steel is thinner. Other options he figures are AD, tuners.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Is there a story about a "factory" prepared one brought over to run at the big Sebring event?
One that was so quick that race organizers found a way to ban it from running.
Those who were sports car fans in the late 1950s in referring to the vernal equinox would say:
"Looking forward to Sebring."

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the only difference is in the hole suitable for accommodating the two retaining brackets 105.16.60.019.00 for the plexiglass. I presume...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts