Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here is the Berlina 2000 I mentioned earlier..

But, back to the topic, if anyone lives in Scandinavia, and owns an original 1300 Gt or Giulia, I would like to come and have a look at it, perhaps even sit on the passenger side for a small ride.

·
Registered
1972 Giulia Super 1.3
17 Posts
I recently bought my first Alfa, a 1972 Giulia Super 1.3 still with the original 1300 engine. A previous owner had imported it over the pond not too many years ago; these later Supers weren't sold stateside. I don't have anything to compare it to, but find the 1300 a revvy, fun engine that has the feels-like-you're-going-faster-than-you-actually-are due to the sounds and multiple shifts. Unfortunately mine is due for a bottom end rebuild so I find myself now contemplating an increase to a 1750 or 2000 and corresponding rear-end....everything I've read here and elsewhere states if hp is what you're after, modifying the 1300 isn't as cost-effective as just doing a swap.

But there indeed is something to be said for originality. So maybe I rebuild the 1300 and keep the Super original, and just also get a GTV 2000 to satisfy the hp itch. My wife is having a hard time understanding that math, though :LOL:

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
But there indeed is something to be said for originality. So maybe I rebuild the 1300 and keep the Super original, and just also get a GTV 2000 to satisfy the hp itch. My wife is having a hard time understanding that math, though :LOL:
With a little over 500k produced Tis and Supers will never be rare cars so concerns about originality are more philosophical/esthetic than preservation/investment based. Certainly if you feel strongly about originality, you should fix your 1300 and keep it. As for me, while I think you're absolutely right that the 1300 driven spiritedly surely makes all the right Italian-car sounds, I eventually got tired of being blown-off by soccer-moms in mini-vans. Reading JimK's book, talking to my racer buddies, and learning about Alleggrita's Carrera class winning 2 liter TI Super (186hp on pump gas!) I decided to build a fast 2 liter for my Super. The result is a homely little sedan that checks all my boxes for a great Alfa. If you're interested you might enjoy visiting Alfaholics site and checking out their modified Supers, a couple of which are equipped 200hp plus twin sparks. At the very least, you might want to drive a 2 liter Super. I did, and that brief drive was decidedly convincing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Is the 1300 101 series engine in the early Giulia same as the later 105 in 1300 format? I am asking because I can get my hands on a great 1300 (non ti/super) in good shape with a 4 speed. But I am wondering if parts such as cams / exhaust / internal "organs" are interchangeable. Or what are the differences ?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi,

The early Giulia 1300 had already the 105 engine from the beginning. It still used some 101, and even 750 parts from the earlier Giulietta. Some of them remained untill the very late 105 series, other parts changed to a 105 designation, meaning that they underwent some changes. Also within the 105 series, changes happened during the years. If you intend to go this path, I think it would be good to look out for some parts documentation. The Giulia 1300/ 1300 TI parts manual and perhaps the Alfa 105 Rapido catalog for comparing parts could be good guides for starting this adventure.
The first picture shows the max. horse power for the 1300, the 1300 ti and on the second picture: the GT 1300 junior.

Fwiw, ' Wild horses couln't drag me away ' from the typical sound of the 1300 engine in high revs. of course that's a matter of personal taste.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
893 Posts
"Which is more rewarding to drive? A coupe or a sedan? "

With regard to this question, having had 2 Bertone Coupe's, (both with mildly modded 2 litre engines), a '63 1600 Ti saloon with a fresh 2 litre, and also it now has a 2000 Soider Veloce S2 partner, I can say that in my opinion, the saloon handles best .
With the exception of the Spider, they all had / have the Classic Alfa Harvey Bailey handling kit, all with Red Koni's, all with rear sway bar removed, all with lsd rear end.
Some years ago, at a historic race meeting, an old boy was looking at my GTA Rep, and asked me if I'd ever tried a saloon. I replied that I hadn't ever driven one.
He said "If you think these Coupe's handle, you should really try a saloon".
I felt the difference the first time I drove one, so much so that I started the hunt for one straight away.
Bought this '63 ex 1600 Ti
20200320_143315.jpg
in 2015, and began .to modify it to my liking.
A very different beast to the standard S2 Spider Veloce that I have, but both give me pleasure in different ways.
I've done almost 4000 miles over 4 years in the Saloon since getting it to this stage, including trips to Classic Le Mans, Goodwood, and most other Historic Race meets in the UK..
The Spider feels so much more sedate, with it's standard suspension, it drives much more like a modern car, despite it only being 12 years younger. It's probably as fast in a straight line as the saloon, but doesn't handle as capably.
Horses for courses. If I fancy a nice relaxed evening drive round the countryside on a summer evening, I take the Spider.
When I need some excitement it's the Ti Super Rep all the way.
20180706_195518.jpg

21 - 26 of 26 Posts