Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Amongst many other parts needs, I am searching for a new/restored steering wheel for a restoration project on a Giulia TI. I believe the model year of the TI is '67, or maybe a '66...not much earlier.

Please see the attached pic of the car in it's current state with the steering wheel that was on the car when purchased. Is this the correct type of steering wheel for this model year of the Ti?

Also attached are second and third pics of a really nice steering wheel, but I am not sure it is correct for the TI...maybe a it's for a Super?

I know that the American 1950's style aka "edsel" style steering wheel came on the earlier TI's

I am after the factory correct wheel for the TI in that year. All advice is much needed and very welcome.

Thank in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Your second and third pics are indeed the first series Super and Sprint GT wheel. I thought all ribbon dash Ti's had the early wheel and you car would be early 65 or earlier? Have you checked with Alfa archives?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
Post 3 shows the "post rationalization" look, after the common dash was introduced across the line, correct? That is, after the ribbon-speedo dash was dropped. I had a 67 1300 TI with that three-thin-spoke black wheel and ribbon speedo dash.

First series TIs after the "Edsel" style steel two-spoke wheel (as in the column shift pic above) had the same three-spoke alum wheel with center horn push as the Super, didn't they? At least in the US they did. It's my recollection that's what the Road & Track test TI had in 1965.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
'65 TI Steering Wheel

My '65 TI was built on 25 Feb 1965. AR 455527. It had the "Edsel" style steering wheel. Sold new at Rambo Motors in Portland OR. in May of '65, as was my '67 Super in Feb of '68. The TI Just celebrated it's 50th birthday!

Stu

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Timo, from my knowledge you appear to have a first series Giulia Ti which would only have had a 1600 engine and the American style steering wheel as in the brochure shot provided by Derek. Post introduction of the Supers Alfa produced a "poverty pack" version of the Ti with 1300 engine which featured cheaper trim including the cheaper steering wheel as in Derek`s second post featuring the brochure picture.They also featured single headlamps etc. I don`t think any of the 1300`s ever had the ribbon speedo but with Alfa there is no firm cutoff point.
Veloce430 I assume your Ti is the car on the right as no stainless trim on the sill but where are the stainless bars on the air intake (just in front of the windscreen) like mine?

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Richard,
For whatever reason the PO had removed the ss trim and filled the holes. The openings were tweaked so I assume someone was attempting to do something with the wiper linkage. I sourced a good set of trim, and a straight cowl, but currently have a Super cowl on the car, it is going to a 'bitsa" anyway, with a TS and Milano Verde seats. I need to paint the TI cowl and install the stainless trim. I sold the "Edsel wheel" a couple years ago.

Stu

Attachments

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Check our european sources for this......

OKParts in Germany is one I trust. Also ebay.de and ebay.it list these from time to time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts