Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings and happy Mother's Day,

Please see the attached photos for reference. I inquiring about two slightly different styles of Alfa Romeo wrenches.

My questions are: Do the "factory correct" tool kit wrenches for a '65 Giulia T.I. have a number code cast in to them on one side? Or do they just have the "Alfa Romeo" script cast into them on one side, along with the mm sizes, and on the other side "Made in Italy" cast without a numerical code.

I am in the process of rounding up, bit by bit, a factory tool kit for a restoration of a '65 1600 T.I. The owner is very picky about these types of details. ;)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,879 Posts
I think those predate 105 cars; I think Giulietta or earlier. In all the 105 cars I've ever owned, tool kits never had end wrenches, just screwdrivers, pliers, plug wrench, tommy bar, wheel wrench, and the like. No end wrenches.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
Andrew is correct, from my own experiences with several NOS tool kits I own or have owned.
The first one below came with my own very late production Giulia spider Veloce (101-1600). It was removed from it's Alfa plastic bag for a photo shoot for the first time in 2012. It is the same as the early '66 Duetto tool kits. Noteworthy is it has no wrenches.
The second picture is George Krause's kit from his Giulietta Veloce (101-1300). I believe this kit is restored, but is also identical to another kit I bought for a customer for another 1300-101 Spider Veloce some years ago. That kit was used, but very near perfect, 90+% or so. I paid a LOT for that complete kit. The third and fourth pictures are of a very complete and probably unused 275GTB Ferrari kit, I bought in San Diego, about 25 years ago for my own 275GTB/ 06943. I paid $100, which included shipping. I picture it here only because every time I look at it it makes me smile! These are all so nice to have with the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I guess the confusing thing is that the Ti User manual shows the Giulietta Veloce type tool roll in both my 11/1962 blue cover version and my 01/1964 orange cover version. I have never seen one of these in a car though either.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
The 1600 Giulia Veloce owners manual shows the 1300 101 (or possibly 750) tool kit. Not the one that came new with my car. I believe these were sourced from "available stock" at the time of build or shipment, and put in the cars as they left the factory. Available stock was variable, so you really need to see a kit from an owner of a car that has had the car and kit for 50 years to determine what came with that car. Again, I believe, but do not know for sure, that this was variable, so more than ONE tool kit may be correct.
This is only my opinion from my own observations over the last 50 years.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The 1600 Giulia Veloce owners manual shows the 1300 101 (or possibly 750) tool kit. Not the one that came new with my car. I believe these were sourced from "available stock" at the time of build or shipment, and put in the cars as they left the factory. Available stock was variable, so you really need to see a kit from an owner of a car that has had the car and kit for 50 years to determine what came with that car. Again, I believe, but do not know for sure, that this was variable, so more than ONE tool kit may be correct.
This is only my opinion from my own observations over the last 50 years.
Thank you Gordon. I agree. it is hard to argue with 50 years of ownership experience! This is exactly why I asked this question here; in the hopes that someone who has this experience can point me in the right direction.

I also agree with alfa2go, the confusion for me did come from looking at the Giulia T.I. manual. This is why I believed the tool kit contained wrenches.

As far as having the "correct" tool kit, I wonder if it made a difference in which market the car was originally sold in? Europe vs USA..etc...I also suppose that back in the day, if a Giulia T.I. buyer wanted a larger tool kit, one with more tools, he or she could order one from the dealership or importer, and have it included in the car. Thus making it an "original" and "correct" kit.

Thanks again,

Tim

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
Hi Tim,
Yes, I do believe different markets may have had different tool sets, as other more difficult items differed as well. It seems in the mid to late 60's Alfa considered the USA a wealthy market, but did not want to allow owners the oportunity to twist wrenches, preferring the cars to go to dealers for any work. as such, a minimum tool assortment was all that was required.

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
That helps Joe, and confirms what Andrew and I believed.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
The tool kit that came with "Supah" is the one with the flap top, rather than the roll. Plus it has some of the "Alfa" wrenches. Extras as it seems.

Problem is that the fabric has collected some dust and dirt. Also one side of a dome fastener has been torn out.

Would it survive a dry cleaning before repairing the fastener?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Joe, Wow that is amazing! Thanks for posting that Alfa Romeo document. It really helps to clarify what the Giulia T.I. tool kit contained.

Gordon, I meant to tell you, that 275 GTB tool kit is very impressive. It is robust and well stocked to say the least. Not to mention it being a nice little growth investment; going from $100.00 to about $25K in value over the years! I have always been impressed with the he completeness of Ferrari factory tool kits. Even the tool kits of the "modern era" cars like the 360 or 430 are impressive.

Not to digress too much, but while on the subject of factory tool kits, I've attached are some pics of my 2nd series Lancia Fulvia kit. This is about as complete as they came in a Lancia factory tool kit of '60's/'70's era. Of course there were some variances in the contents, and in the style of the case, over the years and between the different series of Lancia model production runs etc...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
Everyone need note the SAME manufacturers in Italy made components for the Alfa, Lancia, and Ferrari kits, and probably others as well. I bet some astute researcher out there in BB land is RESEARCHING or CONTACTING that company for a search of archives, and possible source of reproduction missin components....
Thanks Timo!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way I forgot to ask; other than the typical online venues like eBay ect...where is a good place to buy the correct 19-21mm "box" spark plug wrench with the bar (or is it an awl?)?

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

All the best,

Tim

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
Reach out to BB members. Often they will buy a batch to complete a kit and have extra's. Also some members (user459) have made up reproductions some tools, and may have spares.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I believe I located a correct 19-21mm spark plug "tube" aka "box" wrench for the Giulia T.I. kit.

Does anyone happen to have the actual length of their spark plug wrench they can share? This is so I can compare it with the one I found.

Many thanks,

Tim

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please see the attached photos of some Giulia T.I. tools and accessories.

Does the 19-21mm spark plug "tube" wrench appear to be correct? I apologize for the poor quality photos. Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I cleaned the canvas tool toll with mild detergent and warm water.

A number of times will long soaks.

Came out alright, but with a couple of permanent rust marks.

Tools:

1 screwdriver, 1 pliers, 1 bar, 1 plug wrench, 1 lug wrench

Open wrenches

7 mm and 6

14 and 12

19 and 17

I've used detergent and water and a copper-wire brush to clean the wrenches. Now sprayed with WD 40, but they need more cleaning.

Should the canvas be treated with anything?

Will solvent get the wrenches thoroughly clean?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts