Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to put new tires on my 72 Super. It has 14" wheels and ancient 185/70 tires. I have always used 195/60 for spiders. What do people like for Supers for good street performance, spirited driving but no track time?

Thanks,

Tina
'72 Super
'82 Spider
'91 164

·
Premium Member
22,353 Posts
Vredestein Sprint series, 80 profile in 175 or 185 if you can find them. Stick well for a tall tire, though if you're looking for a 185/70 type tire this may not be the one for you. Fills the wheelwells nicely.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
I recently put Yoki AVID ENVigor 185HR65/15's (TireRack) on 15"x5.5 Heinbrand TZ wheels on my 72. Perhaps they make a 70x14? No rub, no problem. My 65 Super has 155SR82x15 Vredestein Sprint Classicss on OE 15x4.5 steel wheels. This is the size they came with in the early years. Nimble and lots of sidewall flex. Like being at sea. They do not fill the wheel wells at all!!! On a 3rd, I put 185HR70/14 Gislaved Speed 606's on another recently. Not a lot of choice in 185/70x14. :)

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Vredestein makes excellent tires. My '72 Super has 165x14's which were the stock fittment for these cars. They're H rated, are great handling tires, and make the car very enoyable to drive. Vredestein also makes a 185x70x14 H rated tire that would also be a good choice and, in fact, may be what I choose as soon as my current tires wear out. Another good choice is the Avon CR6ZZ. These are H rated rally tires and, I'm told, are supurb in all respects. If you aren't interested in a high speed rated tire, the Pirelli P4's would be a good choice.

As far as 195's are concerned, IMHO they're a bit tight for a Super. The problem is that there just isn't much room in the back wheel well, making a 195 cross section a tight fit. It can be done but you may have to shim the rear axel to get it absolutely centered, trim a few mm's off the inner fender lip, machine a few mm's off the wheel and/or a few mm's off the back of the wheel, and use wheels with a minimun of 35mm offset in order to make the tires fit properly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vredestein?

I have searched all over. Where do you find them? I am in Southern California. Mail order is OK too.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Vredestein makes excellent tires. My '72 Super has 165x14's which were the stock fittment for these cars. They're H rated, are great handling tires, and make the car very enoyable to drive. Vredestein also makes a 185x70x14 H rated tire that would also be a good choice and, in fact, may be what I choose as soon as my current tires wear out. Another good choice is the Avon CR6ZZ. These are H rated rally tires and, I'm told, are supurb in all respects. If you aren't interested in a high speed rated tire, the Pirelli P4's would be a good choice.

As far as 195's are concerned, IMHO they're a bit tight for a Super. The problem is that there just isn't much room in the back wheel well, making a 195 cross section a tight fit. It can be done but you may have to shim the rear axel to get it absolutely centered, trim a few mm's off the inner fender lip, machine a few mm's off the wheel and/or a few mm's off the back of the wheel, and use wheels with a minimun of 35mm offset in order to make the tires fit properly.
+1 on both the 165/14 Vredesteins (great feel, but not ultimate grip) and on the 195 issues mentioned (I had 195/60-14's; they stuck well but rubbed in the rear wheelwells with passengers abuard and steering was heavy and uninspired).

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
Peter, does your early one has 14" wheels retrofitted??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts