Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Sunday drove the Super a few kms to shop after a few weeks layover; ran beautifully.

Stopped and parked, came back 30 minutes later, started, idled for 5 seconds and slowly died.

Refused to start. With breakdown service checked for spark and none....Super trailered home.

Arrive home engine starts and runs like no issue....

Searched solutions, but this a simple '66 Giulia not complicated, or so I thought....

Fuel in tank, all leads look good.... Do coil/condensers fail and then come back to life?

No previous issues, but car is new to me....

Thanks for any suggestions...

Richard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,841 Posts
Check fuses, connections, grounds? The coil gets its volts from the fuse box like everything else. I've seen broken coil wires but have not seen them fix themselves.
Electrical stuff can fail due to heat, work again when it cools off, sure.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
What Andrew just said . . . I would add that the no-spark situation after running may also point to a transient ignition problem. The fast-and-dirty solution is to do a complete tune-up---new points, new condensor, cap,. and rotor. That way you'll know you have fresh stuff. How old is your coil? As Andrew says, an old coil will sometimes break down when it gets hot in just the way your describe. A new coil is just cheap insurance. Since you're using points just make sure your new coil has a built-in ballast resistor. "Hot" electronic ignition coils have low resistance and will rather quickly burn your points.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The coil gets my vote. Had exactly that situation before with a coil, and seen it many times. Gets warm, fails. Leave it alone for twenty mins, it starts, runs for a few minutes (deepnding on how cool it's got), then dies again.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys....

I have ordered all parts suggested and will replace......hopefully curing issues.

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts