Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Giulia Super is on SF CL, though it's located in Oregon. Not my car, no connection.
Andrew

1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super - $8000 (santa clara)

Date: 2011-02-06, 2:34AM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

67 Giulia Super, 1600 engine needs bearings, rod or main. Head good, has been in dry storage since 1996. Needs restoration, has typical rust issues behind rear doors. Front right floor pan has rust and needs repair. Right front fender damage, have a replacement fender. Have new windshield and gasket uninstalled. Interior good, drivers seat bottom needs redone, passenger and rear seat and headliner in excellent condition. Some rust on top of fuel tank, but has complete trunk rubber mats and also tool kit with most of the original tools. Price firm, if you don't have the money, don't waste your time. Additional photos available, Car is located in Central Oregon.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
This looks like a nice start for someone....

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Does it seem like a fair price? What does a solid #2 Guilia Super go for these days? I'd love to own one some day and wonder if it's better to restore or not. Here's a starter for $8k. And on the other extreme is the car posted on eBay in Texas with a Buy Now of $35k.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Well, it's hard to tell all of the details from the ad, but you could be into this about $10k and have a good Super to drive. Just get the mechanicals right and go for it !
I think this one is a 3+ as it sits, and you would to invest a lot to bring it up to 2+....
The one for $35k is just crazy talk!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Saying "that's an understatement" IS an understatement. I talked to the guy and he said "Everything is perfect... and the gearshift likes to pop out of reverse if you don't keep your hand on it." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Does it seem like a fair price? What does a solid #2 Guilia Super go for these days? I'd love to own one some day and wonder if it's better to restore or not. Here's a starter for $8k. And on the other extreme is the car posted on eBay in Texas with a Buy Now of $35k.
From a financial standpoint it makes no sense what-so-ever to restore. The only thing that makes sense about restoring is that you get to call the shots (parts, colors, goodies, etc) and you will probably end up with a solid #2 Super faster than you can find one for sale.

Here is one of the best pieces of advice I've ever read on the BB:

Originally Posted by Zunige
A word of caution here... Project cars, and this is a project, sell for a lot less than running cars, and they seem a good buy for the cash outlay. However, invariably, they always end up being a lot more expensive than a running car in similar condition. The only financial *advantage* to buying a car like this one is that one doesn't have to pay the total cost up front. That is often the only way some of us can afford to acquire a collectible example to begin with, but over time, the $$ invested to bring the car back to life will always far exceed the cost of a car *done" to the same quality level. Please don't interpret this as a reason for the seller to have to lower his/her price, but rather as a word of caution that any restoration at any level is always more expensive, and it is unrealistic to expect to recover the costs, once the car is deemed done.

Best regards

·
Premium Member
22,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Oregon car strikes me as priced high for the condition. To do this car up to perfect condition will likely cost more than it's worth, even if you got it for free. So maybe it'll get a rolling restoration, or mechanically sorted now and cosmetics later, or a beater (though you need an engine), or who knows. Maybe it won't sell at all.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I didn't want to say it. Thanks for saying it ;) :).

·
Premium Member
22,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Price went up $1000 since yesterday. Seller must be getting a lot of contacts...
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,039 Posts
Well, it's hard to tell all of the details from the ad, but you could be into this about $10k and have a good Super to drive. Just get the mechanicals right and go for it !
I think this one is a 3+ as it sits, and you would to invest a lot to bring it up to 2+....
Randy, Randy, Randy, what's in your highball glass? ;) From the recent Car Condition thread, a 3 is a fairly solid driver (if we want to use established definitions and not make 'em up). . This one ain't driving for awhile and not without a bit of scrilla. A LOT more than $10k all-in even at an in of $8k. Just ain't no 3+ now. Could be. To bring it to a 2+ regional concourse condition would take a boatload of scrilla. I know you have a lot of sympathy for sellers but this was a stretch. But I do agree on the $35k car (a bit high) but it's not far from a 2 now so at least it's in the neighborhood's fringes. Best of luck to all of them.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Does anybody know the seller's name? And city? I've had a not so great experience with someone up there that buys cars that need a lot of work and turns them around. Anybody serious PM me and we'll see if it is the same guy.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Sorry, but I didn't think that it fit into the "driven into the ground" #4 catagory ;^)
I'm sure that several of us here could have her blasting down the road with $1000 and 4 weekends.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
frozen engine and rust issues,car is worth 2 grand not more,you need 22 grand to put an alfa together,and to make it nice add 3 more ,

big mistake , and now its what?????? 8 became 9k....is he nuttts.

·
Registered
819 Posts
2 grand... yeah RIGHT. Find any Giulia for sale for anywhere close to 2k... Sorry guys, those days are long gone. ;)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,039 Posts
I love ya Randy, you are such a sunny optimist. Stay just the way you are! I've got some oceanfront property in Oklahoma for you too.To me, that car could be the poster child for run hard and then put away wet for too long. I do have sympathy for the owner's situation and do wish him well and a fairly and well sold car. 'Nuff here.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,039 Posts
2 grand... yeah RIGHT. Find any Giulia for sale for anywhere close to 2k... Sorry guys, those days are long gone. ;)
This is at the core of the US Giulia pricing debate (discussed amply in two other threads). In Europe this would be a $1-2k parts car ONLY. You have lots of much better runners for 4-6k Euro (ca. $7k), Good cars for 6-8k Euro (ca. $10k). I paid $13,000 +SH for my VERY nice green car. Over here with the extreme shortage, rolling rust art gets for $9k due to supply versus demand :eek:: low supply and rising demand. Take what you want. The problem is adding in shipping at $2000 and "handling" at $1000 starts to equalize things a bit, but not this much.

·
Registered
267 Posts
How 'bout this $3K Super?

Speaking of cheap Super's....here's one that just popped up. I think for the $5K (or is it 6K now) difference, you could pick up a pretty nice drivetrain and be ahead of the Oregon car.

While few & far between, they still do come up....

1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,039 Posts
No motor or trans. They do seem to come up - at either extreme though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts