Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First of all, I'm quite new on this ALfaBB forum.
So Hi everybody, nice to meet you! ;)
Also my apologies if I sometimes wrongly manipulate the tool. Time will help. :)

My first question is about the front grill of the Giulia Super...

I've been told that the full 9-bar grill has been replaced by a 5-bar grill around 1967, and that extra badges 'giulia' and 'super' have been applied on the bonnet of cars as from 1967/1968 till... ?

Look at the 3 pictures attached - I think the 3 cars have been produced in 1967 (not sure for the one with the badges on the bonnet).

Has someone the right/official information/explanation about the chronology these different types of grill (+ badges) have been applied?

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Ben

PS: Same question about the side repetitors on the front wings: arrow design with chrome bar or "simple" rectangle? :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Welcome to the Alfa BB !
The second pic shows a 1969 and younger Super. It changed again when the Nuova model came out.
First pic is a 1965 to early 1967 Super.
Last pic is a 1968 model Super. This is called an 'interum' model made only one year with some features of the early model and some from the later ones.
I know this because the last picture is of my Super ! ;^)
If you are near Lommel, you should contact Roland ( GiuliaBianca here ). He is a dedicated Alfa fan and a big expert on all things Super.
Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Welcome to the ABB Ben! Almost all is said above, just need to add picture of early 1969 Super which has different front bumper than later ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, Randy!
The 1st car is a 1967 one, belonging to a swedish gentleman (to find back in the Picture Gallery at www . alfaholics . com.
The second one is mine (the car will enter a body restoration in Feb 2012, and will probably get another colour - still to choose), and has been produced and sold by the mother factory to Alfa Romeo Belgium in October 1967.
I will probably contact Roland ( GiuliaBianca) in the coming weeks.
And as Belgium is a small country ;) Lommel is only 30' away from my home.
Cheers.
Ben

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I enjoy visiting Belgium !
Very friendly people, beautiful country, interesting history and great food and beer !

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Gasolina: thanks for this extra info :)
@101/105guy (Randy): nice to read you've appreciated many "oddities" of my little and great but complicated country :)

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Yes.....
I've heard your politicians described as "monkeys" :^0 !
We have the same here....

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
One of the sticky threads at the top of this forum (Super/TI Differences) discuss Super features and changes by Series and Variations thoroughly. The confusion on "1967's" arises because the new 5-bar grill car for Model Year 1968 (MY68) started production in late 1967. Production date/year alone does not tell the story. You need the VIN also.

The grill on the first car above is not from a Super, Series 1 (65-67) or otherwise. It is a TI grill which does not have the split heart that is on a proper Series 1 '65-67 Super. See this LINK of my 65. Therefore, the car cannot be determined to be a Super without closer inspection or more information. It could be a TI or a Super, either with other stuff applied which makes casual ID impossible. It also has a 69+ front bumper and headrests visible (not until Nuova's but not Nuova headrests) so it appears to be a mongrel.

Randy knows the 3rd car well. A really nice and true MY68 (except for that new full 65-67 grill now installed!!). The 5-bar grill started in MY1968 with the S2's and went through the S3 Unificatas through 1974 up to the S4 Nuova's in 74-77.

The 2nd car, with the curved side directionals, and a 69-74 front bumper appears to be a 68-71 5-bar grill S2, possibly a Biscione, like Jorma's 69, but I'd need more info. It does not have any visible attributes of a '67 and is missing some features of a MY68 car like Randy's, so if it is a '67 VIN, it has been heavily modified.

The point is that many of these cars have been modified, some so very modified, that you just cannot tell for sure what it is from a thumbnail picture without more info, confirmation of provenance, and VIN's, and trust me, even then you may have questions.

Read the above thread and report back!! Cheers, and Welcome, B

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Welcome to the ABB Ben! Almost all is said above, just need to add picture of early 1969 Super which has different front bumper than later ones.
Are those GTA replica wheels in your photo 14x6 or 15x7? Also, what size tires with those wheels? Sorry for the hijack :eek:.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The second one is mine (the car will enter a body restoration in Feb 2012, and will probably get another colour - still to choose), and has been produced and sold by the mother factory to Alfa Romeo Belgium in October 1967.
Ok, it wasn't 1969 at all, if it's model year 1968 car, just made in 1967 it should look identical with Randy's 1968 even original colour is the same. Nice car, more pictures please!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Gasolina...

Info coming from Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo - Automobilismo Storico - Areze about my car :
According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 866776 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Super (105.26), manufactured on the 13th October 1967 and sold on the 17th October 1967 to Alfa Romeo Belgium, Brussels.The body colour is amaranth red (AR 509), with wild boar leather skai interiors.

And 3 pics I have on my computer at work...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2nd car, with the curved side directionals, and a 69-74 front bumper appears to be a 69-71 5-bar grill S2, possibly a Biscione, like Jorma's 69, but I'd need more info. It does not have any visible attributes of a '67 and is missing features of a MY68 car like Randy's, so if it is a '67 VIN, it has been heavily modified.
Hi Anfanuts!

Well, thanks for the explanations...

Meaning I possibly have some work to bring my 1967 Super (perhaps a MY 1968, but who can confirm? - VIN = AR 866776) back to an almost original state! :rolleyes:
I have to confess that I like my bumpers, even if they are >=1969! :)

Interior and steering wheel are of course not the original ones.

Hereunder, 2 extra pics. Don't hesitate to comment!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi Ben,

Thanks for additional information and pictures! If I remember correctly model year 1968 has started from VIN 862 000 so your Super looks to be a 1968 model. Probaply someone can confirm this?

Beautiful car with some modifications, actually that red metallic colour looks very nice:) Thanks, Jorma

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Ben,
Thanks for additional information and pictures! If I remember correctly model year 1968 has started from VIN 862 000 so your Super looks to be a 1968 model. Probaply someone can confirm this?
Beautiful car with some modifications, actually that red metallic colour looks very nice:) Thanks, Jorma
Well... I try to summarize...

It's a MY68, manufactured in Oct 1967, with a 1969+ front bumper, with, I think the original rear bumper.

About the heart/grid, investigations are still on-going ;)

And I don't like the current colour even if a lot of people like it :eek:
As some parts need to be repaired and treated (bottom of the doors, the lower part of the body between the two wheel arches - "bas-de-caisse" in French, I don't know the correct word in English), the car will get a new colour at the same time. Maybe the original colour (but I'm not a big fan of the amranth red), or some kind of grey, not too light (maybe Grigio Grafite in fact, still hesitating - I find the Grigio Medio Met. just a bit too light!).

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
One of the tables in my thread above indicates the VIN ranges for various Series changes. I am not at home and do not have access to all my files now. If yours is a MY 68, which by VIN it appears to be, Randy's car pic is a perfect go-by (except current pics wherein he has changed his grill over to a Series 1 with the split heart). Your grill and heart is correct for a MY68 S2. Your rear bumper appears to be correct. You seem to be missing the "giulia super" script from the front hood right edge. I am not picking on your car, they are all beautiful and lovable, just that after 30+ years, many/most have had modifications so it's very hard to tell exactly what a car "is". Like the Sweedish guys car picture above with some questions open. And unless you are a fanatic like some of us, it matters not.

I love the color on your car, it's a "spicy" variation of Rosso Ameranto. It looks very nice. Not here to pick on your car but since you asked. The trunk script does not look matched (the ""giulia super" may be the front hood or dash script) and the "alfa romeo" was in the middle trunk panel edge on a MY68 (at least on a 65-67 is was, ask Randy). And they appear to be the smaller TI tail-lights with a raised ridge in the middle??? Hubcaps are not correct. But it's a very pretty and solid looking car. Congrats!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of the tables in my thread above indicates the VIN ranges for various Series changes. I am not at home and do not have access to all my files now. If yours is a MY 68, which by VIN it appears to be, Randy's car pic is a perfect go-by (except current pics wherein he has changed his grill over to a Series 1 with the split heart). Your grill and heart is correct for a MY68 S2. Your rear bumper appears to be correct. You seem to be missing the "giulia super" script from the front hood right edge. I am not picking on your car, they are all beautiful and lovable, just that after 30+ years, many/most have had modifications so it's very hard to tell exactly what a car "is". Like the Sweedish guys car picture above with some questions open. And unless you are a fanatic like some of us, it matters not.

I love the color on your car, it's a "spicy" variation of Rosso Ameranto. It looks very nice. Not here to pick on your car but since you asked. The trunk script does not look matched (the ""giulia super" may be the front hood or dash script) and the "alfa romeo" was in the middle trunk panel edge on a MY68 (at least on a 65-67 is was, ask Randy). And they appear to be the smaller TI tail-lights with a raised ridge in the middle??? Hubcaps are not correct. But it's a very pretty and solid looking car. Congrats!
Thanks for your very useful explanations!

I now need extra pics from Randy's car (so Randy, if you hear me...), definitely the rear part to make my car match with his.
Some details need indeed to be tackled as well: front and rear badges, tail lights?, and possibly the front bumper.

I'll try to make the car more "original" than it is currently, except perhaps some little details (not "shocking") and... the colour ;)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I actually really like the colour. Beautiful car Ben! Another bit of bling missing is the stainless steel strips along the sills. I'd find it hard to change cookies when the paint already looks so good.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts