Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for that datapoint, it is interesting - our cars are only 1985 cars apart. I have the original "libretto" in front of me, there is no date of construction but the original registration is 11/26/1973. That means mine was built and sold almost immediately... not knowing the production numbers by day makes it hard to discern. I guess I'll pay the 30 bucks :laugh2:
The Alfa museum reply (at least when the service was free) also gave the date when it was sold. For mine, it was sold December 28, 1973. When I lookup a 1973 calendar online, the 23rd was a Sunday (seems a bit odd, but perhaps production lines ran over weekends or at least some parts of the operation?) and the 28th was a Friday with Christmas in between. I was lucky enough to make indirect contact (through a work contact at a university in Italy) with the widow of the original owner of mine years ago. This sold date fits her memory of them both being attracted to this color and buying as soon as one became available and then keeping it for 25 years.

I did find another reply from Marco Fazio where I had him run 3 other chassis numbers to see if I could learn more from those. Those were:

AR*3335317 (25 after mine), built on April 29, 1974
AR*3335342 (50 after mine), built on December 28, 1973
AR*3336292 (1000 after mine), built on January 16, 1974

The first one especially indicates that close numbers don't necessarily imply close build dates. I probably would have given him 100 numbers to lookup, although I thought 4 total with mine was a good total to avoid being a pest. I was appreciative he did lookup a few more that clearly weren't mine. I didn't have him lookup any that were earlier than mine since my goal was to try to see how many were produced after mine in calendar year 1973.

-Gary

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I did find another reply from Marco Fazio where I had him run 3 other chassis numbers to see if I could learn more from those. Those were:

AR*3335317 (25 after mine), built on April 29, 1974
AR*3335342 (50 after mine), built on December 28, 1973
AR*3336292 (1000 after mine), built on January 16, 1974

The first one especially indicates that close numbers don't necessary imply close build dates.

-Gary
That first one has to be some sort of chassis that was forgotten in the back corner for a few months and then a "Caspita" there's a chassis here - let's shove it out the door! :grin2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was wondering if they pre-allocated numbers to different production lines or even different plants and that might explain discrepancies like this. If all the data was available, there would be enough to figure out if there is a pattern like this or just some randomness here and there, but mostly chassis numbers reasonably following the build dates. I think sometime around April 1974 is the last of non-Nuova Giulias so perhaps 3335317 was an "oops, better get this one done before we start sending the great modern redesign to dealers" (or so they may have thought at the time regarding the Nuova Giulia and we now know better).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem and bought one of these Bell universal mounts off of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SCETXU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plate is attached at all 4 corners, then the adapter is attached to the top two screw holes in the body. Works pretty well. Stands a little pround of the car at the bottom but not too badly. I used a Sharpie to black out the two white screw receivers at the bottom to blend in a little better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes! That’s it. Thank you. I was about to run out and fabricate it something with bar stock. This is easier.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I had the same problem and bought one of these Bell universal mounts off of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SCETXU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plate is attached at all 4 corners, then the adapter is attached to the top two screw holes in the body. Works pretty well. Stands a little pround of the car at the bottom but not too badly. I used a Sharpie to black out the two white screw receivers at the bottom to blend in a little better.
Thank you so much for the link. I ordered it from Amazon and it fits perfectly....now I'm just waiting for the title. The car just sits in the driveway taunting me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cool, glad it worked. I can't take full credit though, I found a thread elsewhere on the board where someone had used one. Just can't remember who.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Bit of an update here - November was busy...

1. got the title from PA finally! It currently sits on regular tags, I'll be switching to a classic tag (pay for registration once, no emissions, but still required to get state safety inspection).

2. After finally driving the car a bit now that is was legal, it became really apparent that the donut/flex disc was about to let go so I took the car to a local Alfa shop (Nick Falcone in Bala Cynwyd, PA). I wanted to do it myself but I have been on the road a lot for work AND it got really cold here all of a sudden. Plus, being just imported from Italy, it had WATER in the radiator, nothing else. I needed the system drained and coolant added ASAP before sub freezing temps hit.

3. The shop gave it a once over, replaced the flex disc and then gave me the urgent list of repairs (no surprises). It cost a pretty penny, the plan was for me to do it myself, but again, that assumes I'm not out of the country 50% of my time. Ugh.

4. Repairs: coolant, clutch slave cylinder, filled burman box with grease (for now - it leaks badly), new flex disc, trailing arm bushings, added sump guard (roads are terrible here), all new rotors, pads, and calipers (pistons were rusted badly).

All in all pretty good. The trailing arm bushings made a HUGE difference in handling. New tires and shocks are next, then I'll attack the smaller bushings, etc.

The bad: after the repairs it was apparent that the right rear wheel bearing is making noise. I'm not sure I'm up for repairing that (pressing out the bearings). Also, nice new brakes on an apparently old leaky master cylinder. The pedal gets soft if you keep your foot on brake pedal. So, that's the immediate need: bearings and master cylinder. I guess it is back to the shop after the holidays. Unless I miraculously find some time, and some tools (for the bearings).

The engine pulls pretty well, car is reasonably quick. I like it! We had 4 people in the car over thanksgiving weekend running errands/joyriding and it was great (other than the bearing noise). I know that 2nd gear is a weak spot in the 105 transmission, so I try to be careful shifting up into 2nd. Downshifting into 2nd is tough - lots of grinding 😫 unless I rev-match as best I can. Double-clutch downshifting doesn't seem to help. I find that the only foolproof way to shift grind free to to be going slowly....Pity because I have lots of nice 2nd gear corners that I want to downshift into 😀. I'm guessing it is a matter of time until I am rebuilding the transmission.

The sump guard turned out to be a godsend a few times - with the worn shocks and 4 people in the car, it bottomed out a few times (huge potholes, speed bump). Better than than the oil pan!

I found some alfaholics TZ replica wheels nearby (5.5 x 15) for a REALLY good price. Now I just need to decide if that is the route I want to take. Then decide on tire and tire size (nothing too wide, or too modern).

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Great you're enjoying it!

If it bottoms out a lot, it might be worth looking into wether the shocks need replacing (the roads may be bad, but it shouldn't bottom out a lot).

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
TZ replicas look great on the Super, I have the on my 67 Ti. I went with the Vredestein’s 175-70-15’s.
Yep, they look great. I was leaning to those same tire - except for this info on tire rack

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Grand Touring Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

It gets cold here - but I guess realistically that criteria while possible - is not that likely to be a problem. Interestingly I cannot find the same disclaimer for the Pirelli Cinturato

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Rain Gutter Detail?

So as I get to know the car, I see a few "dodgy" parts of the repaint. What is the correct detail for the front of the rain gutter at the a-pillar? Is it filled with bondo? Left open? It looks like some "goop" in mine that was then painted over. Not exactly precise.

Sorry no good pix. Its dark in my garage, plus dark blue car.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Supers are supposed to have filler at the A pillar. Mine is a semi-hard stuff that's been there, apparently, for decades. I don't think bondo would be a good choice. You might think about a non-hardening all-weather filler of some sort.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Supers are supposed to have filler at the A pillar. Mine is a semi-hard stuff that's been there, apparently, for decades. I don't think bondo would be a good choice. You might think about a non-hardening all-weather filler of some sort.
OK, so basically some sort of seam-sealer painted over. That makes sense. I'm guessing that is what is there now, its just in an advanced state of decay :(

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
3D PRINTING FUN

On my last trip to Milan I picked up the radio blanking plate from Afra.it. I’ve been considering getting new veneer and covering up the DIN sized hole in the dash but for now I thought the plate would be a good fix. I didn’t realize it doesn’t cover a DIN size hole. Oops! All of that effort and it’s too small.
41262E7C-CB07-4D36-B181-41F117054F75.jpeg

fire up the 3D printer
D7E0625A-213D-4F8B-B8CC-4E37A42B4079.png

cover plate
8B66C156-F76D-4D07-B5AD-EB1D50B9CF8B.jpeg

back brackets and 3D printed wing nuts (did n’t feel like running to store for 2 5 mm nuts)

Front

All done

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Way to make it work for you. Looks good for now, although my perfectionist side would come out eventually and need to replace the veneer.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yep. Long term plan is to get the dashboard out and replace veneer. This is only a Super 1.3 so the veneer was not wood. The replacements available are all real wood, which is ok since I’m not going for originality. I just couldn’t stand looking at that blank hole anymore. I was so mad when I realized the hole was bigger than the blanking plate.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts