Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just added a 1965 Bottiglia Verde Super to the Alfa stable.....Split grille etc...

For the numbers people chassis #AR316847 engine number AR00526 but obviously incomplete....

Now the issue #1; converted to alternator and unknown if charging, no generator light when ignition switched on..... I need a wiring diagram!

Can anyone please help?

Thanks Richard

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Just kidding on the impatience bit. I have always struggled posting on the BB from a device but I think this new forum format works better from iPhones and iPads. Welcome to the Bolino d’Oro club! Still got the Ti Sup?

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
The owner's manual has a wiring diagram. I created a couple PDFs of it, posted here. This is from a US market car, though the diagram never perfectly matched the reality of US cars with four-way flashers. Otherwise should work for you on the charging system.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Now the issue #1; converted to alternator and unknown if charging, no generator light when ignition switched on.....
Hmm - that is a problem, though the issue could be as simple as a burned-out bulb.

Without a functioning "GEN" light, the easiest way to tell if the alternator is working is to hook a voltage meter to the battery. Should show ~ 12V with the engine off and ~ 13.5 V with the engine running.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all
Thanks your replies all very helpful and useful....The full sequence is as follows;
1. No gen light nor voltage change with engine off or at idle. Voltage read about 11.7
2. Posted request for wiring diagram.
3. Meantime check clean all fuses found #3 broken, of course none to hand.
4. Replace broken fuse, still no gen light and no volt change at idle...kinda stumped.
4. Check voltage at 3,000 revs and suddenly off scale, ie charging, still no gen light....
5. I thought advantage of alternator was charge at idle speed? well not mine!

Learn something every day!

Here are a few foties, more to follow.

Richard
image3.JPG image1.JPG image4.JPG image2.JPG

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Actually, all that makes sense:

3. Meantime check clean all fuses found #3 broken, of course none to hand.
4. Replace broken fuse, still no gen light and no volt change at idle...kinda stumped.
Fuse #3 has nothing to do with the alternator (dunno what it does do, but not that). So it isn't surprising that installing a good fuse made no difference in the charging function. Now why that fuse blew is another issue.

4. Check voltage at 3,000 revs and suddenly off scale, ie charging, still no gen light....
Many alternators require an "excite signal" to tell them when to begin charging. This typically comes through the GEN light circuit: you turn on the key, current flows through the bulb to the alternator and it begins charging as soon as it begins turning (even at idle). With this set-up, if the GEN light isn't working (bulb missing, blown, socket corroded, ....) no current reaches the alternator when you turn on the ignition. The alternator will still begin charging - it will "self excite" - just at a higher RPM.

Tell us what "off scale" means. Did the battery voltage go above ~14? If so, that's a problem, and not one that fixing the GEN bulb will solve.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well..... Jay wins!
Removed gen/alt bulb, with extreme difficulty, cleaned and check, all OK. Ignition ON, light works! Started car, light extinguished immediately. Tried to repeat but light fails to illuminate...
Time to check voltages again - yep, alt output off the scale 28/30v!!! Duff regulator, replace alt??
Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts