Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the place for product reviews, but here goes.

This is probably the best $98 I've ever spent on a car. Ever. Doesn't do a single thing to improve performance, aesthetics, etc. Just saves me from having to remember to press the **** button every time I start the car, and saves me from the elevated blood pressure every time the engine stops at the first stop light I encounter when I forget. After world peace and a cure for cancer (or the coronavirus), this device could be the single best gift to humanity ever.

Installation tool was included, I don't think the entire job took more than 2 minutes start to finish.

bs

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
Thanks Brian!

YES, this is a great little modification. It takes away one of the most annoying things about the Giulia/Stelvio.

What it does is change the Stop/Start system default to the way things should have been: OFF until you push the button to turn it on.

The Stop/Start system is still 100% functional when you want it.

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
Don't get why this is such an issue? Saves fuel and emissions ... just like new AlfaBB software, just takes time to get used to. I wish my 156v6 had stop/start as when in traffic I can almost see the fuel gauge go down ...

Pete

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ya, I don't get all the rage against this feature either. It saves you gas that would otherwise be flowing out of the exhaust pipe with no purpose. Spend the savings on a tune.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Well I admit I am to to blame for doing more than my share to increase greenhouse gasses. I typically turn off the stop/start button after starting my Giulia because I can't stand the momentary pause that occurs when I release the brake and put my foot on the gas after the light turns green. Despite reassurance that there will be no long-term effect on the engine from the extra "starts", it frankly causes me a bit of anxiety when there is a car behind me and I momentarily think "oh God I hope my car starts up quickly". It's almost like the feeling of stalling your car while driving a manual transmission, although admittedly not as much. I do feel some guilt in wasting the gas and contributing to emissions, but then again driving my 2017 car has to be better for the environment than when I drive my classic car. I also feel a little better since AR has given us the option to manually turn off the system each time you star the car; the item in question that I just purchased will default the stop/start system to off unless I override it.

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
In NZ, petrol is expensive ... when I had to drive the 156v6 to work and back (140 km open road trip per day), I used to coast down hills in neutral to save my wallet from the $'s ...

Pete

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
I actually don't mind the Stop/Start feature when sitting at a light. It's kinda relaxing once you get used to it.

On the Giulia and Stelvio this feature is most annoying when coming up to a stop sign, as even when there is nobody else there, it will cut out if you pause for even a split second. If the feature were programmed with a few second delay before the engine cut out, it would be much better in real-world conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually don't mind the Stop/Start feature when sitting at a light. It's kinda relaxing once you get used to it.

On the Giulia and Stelvio this feature is most annoying when coming up to a stop sign, as even when there is nobody else there, it will cut out if you pause for even a split second. If the feature were programmed with a few second delay before the engine cut out, it would be much better in real-world conditions.
Right. Or when you're inching forward in traffic. Drives me effing nuts.

I also can't help but thinking of all the duty cycles the starter goes through, or all the zero oil pressure engine starts. Yeah, I know, it was all designed for it. Sure. But that only means that if you turn it off you'll get that much more life out of the components.

If you like it, that's fine. But if you don't, it's nice to be able to turn it off and keep it off.

bs

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
That does sound annoying

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts