Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed an air intake plenum listed on Ebay, see item 150136196845. There is a photo of what appears to be the lower plenum as used on 105 series cars. The listed part number is 101.21.08.108.00 which certainly appears to be a Giulia SS number. However my parts catalog lists the Giulia SS plenum as 101.21.08.011.00. To add my confusion both the Giulia Sprint GT and Duetto catalogs list their plenum's as 101.21.08.011.00.

Can anyone explain which is the correct plenum for a Giulia SS? Did they change from one type to another part way through the production run?
Can anyone translate German?

Thanks...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Original text:
Gebrauchte Ansaugwanne für Giulia SS, Giulia Sprint usw. Teilenummer 101.21.08.108.00. Verbindlich ist die Teilenummer!

Der Zustand ist sehr Gut ohne Risse u.a.. Wurtde von mir mittels Glasperlen fein gereinigt.

Paypalzahlungen Aufgrund der Gebühren nur für USA!
Translation:

Used intake plenum for Giulia SS, Giulia Sprint etc. Part number 101.21.08.108.00. Only the part number matters!

The conditon is very good without cracks etc. Was cleaned by myself using bead blasting.

PayPal payments: Because of the fees only for USA.
The remainder of the text are legal disclaimers for seller protection under EU laws.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am also interested in the same question, is there a difference between the Giulietta and early 105 plenum? Which model is part number 101.21.08.108.00 for? Can't find it in the parts manual.

Many thanks
Sig

·
Registered
100 Posts
101 Sprint Speciale Air Intake

The October 1964 parts catalog lists the Sprint Speciale Cold air box bottom half as 101.21.08.011. (Same with Giulia Spider Veloce.) The top half of the Sprint Speciale box was 101.21.08.021. This was later superceeded by 101.21.08.210. The Spider Veloce top half (cover) showed in the parts catalog as 105.02.08.210.

Dale Whitney

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SS Plenum etc

First of all I should mention I managed to find all the correct parts to piece together the plenum and air cleaner for my car, thanks to this bb and ebay, so parts are still out there if one is persistent.

Dale, your posting of the change of part numbers for the top half to the SS plenum seems to confirm my suspicion that the later Giulia SS cars came with the oval inlet plenum top as used on the Veloce spiders, can I ask what is your source for this information?

Regards,
Don

·
Registered
100 Posts
Info Source

My original Spare Parts Catalog for the Giulia Sprint, Spider and SS printed August 1964. The Spider Veloce information is from the Spider Veloce Supplement to the parts catalog. In the last section of the catalog are parts additions, interchanges and parts that are deleted when exhausted and the new part number that superceeded it. The SS new cover number is on page 10 of that section.
Dale

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for Info

Thanks Dale, I do not have the Spider Veloce supplement so that explains why I never found the listing.

Don

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a late Giulia SS. My intake plenum is a magnesium one, oval opening and not polished. Part nunber is 10121 08 210 00 B (maybe the B is for mangesium?). Car came to prior owner w/original motor so assuming this part is original to the car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My god this is getting complicated, it now appears we could have four variants of plenum tops: round/oval and/or magnesium/aluminum. Good thing there are no original right hand drive cars or we could add aluminium to the mix...

Dan, could the "B" in your part number be an "E", for elektron?

Don

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just to make things perfectly unclear, I'll add this one to the mix. Its part number is 105.02.08210.02, and it has strange backwards "Z" markings on it. I don't know if it's aluminum, magnesium, or whatever. Anybody know what it goes to?

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Don,

Just checked and its clearly a 'B'.

Also, my Giulia SS owners manual (not a reprint) has a picture of the engine compartment and the plenum in the picture has an oval shape.

So, perhaps the early Giulias used the round Giulietta ones until they ran out? Who knows and I'm certainly not one to make any definitive statement on this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Giulia SS is February 1965 production (381357), and I bought it form the estate of the first owner. It came with the 105 oval plenum.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it as originally polished, although it does not appear to have been touched in the last 40 years. It is certianly a smooth casting, and not the sand-casted look. I'/ll take/post a pic w/ numbers when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would love to see some pictures!
The one i have, is polished aswell.
On my 1963 ss it is the large round pipe plenumtop.
Not polished.
This is not my picture, sorry for that.
Polished oval on last year Giulia ss...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
a chromed air filter canister?? Mine came with one too, but I just assumed that the previous owner had gone chrome crazy; see it here on the second shelf down in my garage. I wonder if anyone else has (original) chromed examples? I think Matt Hamilton had expressed that this could be a possibility.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
A review of the Giulia SS Instruction Manual there are several illustration photos depicting the plenum top to be round as supposed to the oval version.

All the round Giulia SS plenum tops I have seen are made of Magnesium. Incidentally, I have really nice re-prints of these SS Instructions manuals for sale.

Lionel

Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com
AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts