Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised that nobody has yet brought up a discussion on this lovely car.

I am aware of 5, maybe 6 cars on the market in the US at this point - All actually quite nice cars. It seems now is the time to buy.

This car looks really good if you can tolerate the liberties taken on the red piping and shiny engine compartment - all can be reversed easily.

Usually, they do not pop in the all too common red unless the paint job is immacualte. And this one sure does look the part on the pictures.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Alfa Romeo : Sprint Speciale - eBay (item 330519159674 end time Jan-23-11 14:09:45 PST)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Fantastic example, I'm not a huge fan of red cars, but on the SS red looks great.. In fact I never thought I would buy a red car, but I did fall in love with a red SS myself!
I too think that the shiny bits and red piping are over the top

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
I too think that the shiny bits and red piping are over the top
They are, but then one could argue that the basic design of a Sprint Speciale is already "over the top". These aren't cars for shrinking violets!

The undercarriage isn't quite as immaculate as the topside. There's some red paint showing on the oil pan, suggesting a respray without pulling the engine. Not fatal, but I would have liked to see better masking.

Be interesting to see if it sells, and if so, for how much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It sold off ebay for $85K. I was in Scottsdale for the auctions and stopped in to see it. It sold about 5 hours before I got there. It looked very nice but the seats were overstuffed so my head hit the roof. Then a pretty nice one sold at Gooding two days later for $79,750.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$85k is high - Is this verified? I am always doubtful of what dealers claim ... Unless you bought the car :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... I am, though from a distance ... and from a distance (And I am very, very certain from up close as well), this one is as yummy as any car gets ...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This is tragic and funny at the same time. Highlights from the add:
Here is a forgotten Alfa Romeo SS Low Nose version 10120*00078
Apart from that the rest of the body is appeared to be original apart from the interior.
The story gets even better, according to various information the car is an African Rally winner back in its glorious days.
A perfect collectors item and a car that deserves a second chance

No wonder this "original" (Apart from body and interior - minor things you can easily put right ...) car was "forgotten".

Coincidentally, the following picture appeared with the ad. Quite appropriate, although sad ...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Chassis # 78 was indeed sold to South Africa in 1959. So maybe there is something to the history mentioned ...

Curious if it is indeed an all aluminum low nose. If so, quite a feat to attach the steel Duetto nose though it has been done ...

Look at the bright side ... given that it is a low-nose you won't have to go looking for bumpers ... ;)

This is tragic and funny at the same time. Highlights from the add:
Here is a forgotten Alfa Romeo SS Low Nose version 10120*00078
Apart from that the rest of the body is appeared to be original apart from the interior.
The story gets even better, according to various information the car is an African Rally winner back in its glorious days.
A perfect collectors item and a car that deserves a second chance

No wonder this "original" (Apart from body and interior - minor things you can easily put right ...) car was "forgotten".

Coincidentally, the following picture appeared with the ad. Quite appropriate, although sad ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the trunk lid demonstrates that it is, indeed, a low nose. Unless the feature where the trunk lid does not extend to the trailing edge of the body survived past the end of the low nose production into the normal Giulietta SS production . . . .

very sad, but worth the effort to resurrect, IMO.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just for comparison, a correctly descended early proboscis, with the subject of posts #7 - 9 as background.

Bryan, I think you are correct about the trunk.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts