Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the left hand piece of dash board (the leather covered piece - it’s a left hand drive car - so to the left of steering wheel), so I can look at the wiring of the choke and hi beam warning lights.
Its the piece in the picture.
There’s 2 screws that are on the underside (holding up the edge furthest from the driver’s seat) and there’s the 4 screws for the “starter/accel” levers(which don’t seem to effect the dash).....but it seems to be held close to the top edge somehow....hmmm....any one ?

Thank you !
Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.....simplifying this:
1- If you remove the 4 screws for the start/accel, is it possible to create more room and get that out of the way, or is it very hard to then replace ?

2- if you unscrew the front retaining bezel on the lights, I’m imagining you could then push the body of the light back into the dash....and maybe pull out under the dash to see what’s going on?...or are they hard to replace in dash once removed ?
Thanks

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Hi Ancona

I can't answer your questions 100% as I've never owned or worked on a Giulia SS, but my Ti has the same twin levers and they are very easy to push up into the underside of the dash and then pull back into position, you have to overcome the resistance of the cables - can you get a hand up and under the padded panel to be able to feel them from the back ?? I can see blue firewall through the gap where the levers are so you must be able to get a hand up there...

I see a 1600 Dash set was offered here --> Wanted - Giulietta Dashboard I suspect it's from a Giulia Sprint rather then an SS, but may give you some idea of the inside of that piece.

Another posibility is that the two lights are holding the padded piece to the bottom of the dash ?? Again, can you get a hand up and under to feel from behind ??

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for trying to help Greig.
The reason I was getting into this was because the wire connection has come off the back of one of the warning lights (seen in photo in first post) and I was trying to get it back on.

I did take a leap of faith and started undoing just about every screw I could find :)
what did I learn ?
  • there is horizontal metal element to the dash which seems to be on a plane level with the top of that leather covered piece. Which means even if I undo the 4 screws holding the start/accel sliders, they dont really go anywhere - I can turn them and move them a bit but not much - so that doesn’t help my access much. I’m sure this is different on the TI.
  • even if I undo the screws holding the leather piece on, it doesn’t buy me much room because there’s a metal form (in part) behind the leather piece.
  • I can unscrew the lenses on the warning lights (allows you to change light bulb) but the body of the fixture is attached to the dash (and is attached to the leather part of dash).
  • there is virtually no room in there! You can get a few fingers in there and touch the back of the connector but can’t get the connector on. I messed with it for a while hoping some divine force would push the connector into place but I’ve done too much sinning.
however, I have a new plan to reattach the wires using one of those “endoscope” (or whatever you call them :)) cameras and a set of very long nosed grips.

thank you
Roger

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to get my 2 warning light connectors back on using one of those endoscope cameras and these :
13A59F66-F073-4ADA-B45F-64AE84BF9A5A.jpeg
They’re lockable which proved very useful.
It required some patience but the final result was worth it.
here’s a pic taken from the camera of the 2 connectors back on:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts