Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody with original Giulia SS engine ---- answer questions about the cam cover?
Carl

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am interested in how exactly it is deferent (identifiable) from the ordinary Spider cam cover.
Is yours an early or late Giulia ....... early had cylinder head and cam cover with 101.21 part numbers and the last Giulia SS had 105 part number (and the cylinder heads has a 105 number embossed onto the front above the water pump).

Does it have a rectangular bump (photo attached) on the carburetor side near the firewall? .......... used to secure 101 Spider air cleaner.
Does it have two dips to allow the air intake hose to cross over the top of engine?
Does it have two bolts on the front side like all 1750 and 2000 engines?
Does it use hold down pins like in attached photo?
Anything else that would justify a unique part number for Giulia SS
Cam cover bump annotated.jpg
101.00.01.133.00 Cam cover pin.JPG

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hi Carl -

Here's a few of pictures.

Seems to have the raised piece but filled in hole.....

No 105 on the front...

From memory, I believe that the cover does have "depression" in it for the cleaner. Obviously its hard to tell from these pics. Im away at the moment, so only have these pics but Ill check when Im home.
Its a 1963 engine - in a 1964 car.
Hope that helps
Roger

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for checking .......... the depressions would make it different, otherwise it looks like any other cover.
No embossed 105 number on front of head, so you must have the earlier 101.21 cylinder head.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Thanks for the info. The engine block is obviously marked with the correct series engine - so I’m glad you think the head is also correct.

I’ll check whether it has a depression when I can....as I said, I’m pretty sure it does have a depression.
Where is the part number written? If it is ?

Roger

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are no part numbers on the outside of cam cover. The 750 and 101-1300 had casting numbers (similar but not the same as part number) on the inside surface, but the one 101-1600 I have doesn't have anything.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Carl & Roger,

The tall knurled cam cover pins that I have don't have the groove for the circlips, so maybe there are two models for that pin too ?
At least mine in the picture is different from yours in the picture in post #3.
The 101 Giulia catalog doesn't mention that circlips .

Here some pictures of that tall knurled pin beside a 750 chromed Sprint Veloce pin.

Roger, do your pins use a circlips and does the rectangular bump has an Alfa stamp on it ?

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Carl, Roger and all,

Here a picture of the moulded number inside a 101 cam cover that doesn't has the air intake hose depressions.

Carl, please note the small ( 13 mm) cam cover pin holes, btw this cover has the stud for the attachment of the air filter, so probably it is the 101.00.01.054.00 that is listed for the 101 non veloce 1300 and 1600 engines. The picture shows the little drilled hole for that stud. So you have an idea where to look for that moulded number.

It would be interesting if we knew whether Roger's Giulia SS cam cover has the same number inside. Of course I understand that it might be too much work to have a quick look.
So maybe someone else has an unassembled Giulia 101 SS cover available to check the number inside, and could maybe measure the diameter of the holes for the 6 cam cover pins on that cover.

Were there any flat knurled veloce type pins found on the Giulia 1600 SS cam covers ??

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After looking at my collect,
Cam cover pin 3 variantion annotated.jpg
I am going to make it even more confusing...........

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Carl & Roger,

The tall knurled cam cover pins that I have don't have the groove for the circlips, so maybe there are two models for that pin too ?
At least mine in the picture is different from yours in the picture in post #3.
The 101 Giulia catalog doesn't mention that circlips .

Here some pictures of that tall knurled pin beside a 750 chromed Sprint Veloce pin.

Roger, do your pins use a circlips and does the rectangular bump has an Alfa stamp on it ?

Rgds,

Thierry

View attachment 1658347

View attachment 1658348
Thierry ........ your picture in post #9, the one on the left is 1315.12.067 ........... correct?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Roger,

I would think that the Giulia SS & Giulia Spider Veloce had or the flat cam cover with the rectangular bump or had the cover with the two depressions for the air intake hose. Not the two characteristics on one cover.

From what I can see, the covers with the two depressions wouldn't have a moulded number inside.

Hi Carl,

Yes, the chromed one in post #9 is the 1315.12.067

For answering one of your questions in post #3 , the Giulia 101 catalogs doesn't list cam cover numbers that have the two extra bolts yet at the front.

Rds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first Giulia SS had air box cover with the large round hole.

It has now been suggested that possibly the final Giulia SS had the full 105 setup of oval shaped air box top, oval hose across engine, and dips in the cam cover.

Can anybody verify or disprove this possibility?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hi Thierry and Carl -
I’m away at moment, when I return, I’ll try and answer your questions - see whats stamped on the inside of the cam cover etc...!
Roger

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Carl, Roger and all,

This is what I found on the Giulia SS cam cover variants.

Cover #1) The initial Giulia SS cam cover and listed in the 101 Giulia catalogs as # 105.00.01.510.02 . This is probably Roger's SS engine's cam cover. Listed continuously untill chassis 380058 and then 'on and off ' untill car 381396. I haven't found this cover on other 105 cars except of on the 105 TZ, therefore it is not so common I think.
it has no dips for the air intake hose, no breather pipe or extra bolts at the front.
Roger's cam cover becomes more and more interesting, particularly for checking whether it has a moulded number at the inside.

Cover #2) From car 380059 on, and alternating with the 105.00.01.510.02 cover #1, but definitely from car 381397 on, Alfa mounted the 105.02.01.510.00
This cam cover had the dips for the air intake hose and was also mounted on the Giulia Spider Veloce and the early 105 GT without breather pipe. The ones I saw don't have a moulded number at the inside. Still no bolts at the front !

Cover #3) The ultimate Giulia SS cam cover: 105.02.01.510.01. This cover had the breather pipe at the front, still no extra bolts at the front. It is also listed for the Giulia Super ( ... probably it has the two dips too, I couldn't find an exclusive drawing of this cover, sorry.
There was no starting SS chassis # given for this cover, but the data was coming from an amendment from 1966, so very late !

For the relevancy, Fusi lists car 381399 as the very last Giulia SS, that was anno1965.

The main problem is that we have no details about how many pieces of cover #1 and / or cover #2 were mounted during the alternating period ( 380059 <> 381396)

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thierry - you state:
"105.00.01.510.02 . ..... Listed continuously until chassis 380058 and then 'on and off ' until car 381396. "
"From car 380059 on, and alternating with the 105.00.01.510.02 cover #1, but definitely from car 381397 on, Alfa mounted the 105.02.01.510.00"
"The ultimate Giulia SS cam cover: 105.02.01.510.01. This cover had the breather pipe "
"data was coming from an amendment from 1966"

All was from the Auosto 1966 amendment? ............. the one that I apparently am missing the key pages from.

And how does this fit in with previously research on air box covers:
Capture.JPG

Carl

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The late 101 21 car are fitted with the early 10502 parts... cylinder head,, ansd so on.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
hi -

well....Im back at the house and took a look at the cam cover on my SS.....and I was wrong! Sorry. It doesnt have the depressions - dont know what I was thinking! Clearly Im more addled than i thought...
When Alfasprinty said "I would think that the Giulia SS & Giulia Spider Veloce had the flat cam cover with the rectangular bump or the version with the 2 depressions" he was clearly right.....mine is the flat cover with rectangular bump.

Heres a picture of the air box cover part no:

Its the 85mm OD round tube version.
When I get a chance Ill take the camcover off and look for the part no.

Roger

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
CORRECTED ENTRY (I hope)
Via Thierry's research we now have discovered 3 cam covers were used ... see chart below ...... where does your SS engine fit? Can you fill in any of the question marks under conclusions?

Also do your "pins" that hold the cam cover to the engine
101 00 01 133 00 Cam cover pin v1 vs v2.jpg
have the snap rings on the inside to keep them from falling out if you turn the cam cover upside down? See attached photo for difference in design and thickness of head. Thanks for the help. View attachment 1660059 View attachment 1660071
View attachment 1660059
Capture.JPG

1 - 20 of 30 Posts