Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't know much about Giovanni nor Luigi....what I have witnessed from dissasembling other Bertone projects is that the fit and finish have always been superior to the Pininfarina cars. The use of stainless steel screws has made this 50 year old car come apart like a well greased puzzle.

The numbers marked in wax pen behind panels is interesting. However, numbering all the chromed pieces with a stamped numerical is very impressive and a testament to great dedication. These are the chromed units at the top of the doors. Beautifully radiused and in great shape.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,524 Posts
SS door glass

Had never seen curved glass, both at the doors rear units.
Guard that glass with your life, it's not available anywhere, lots of SS owners are short a piece or two. Giulietta SS and Giulia SS do not use the same shape door glass, there are subtle differences and either 2 or 3 mounting holes for the mechanism. There was a glass thread on this subject 10 more more years ago.

A few years back there was a lot of activity around making new curved door glasses, I'm not sure whatever happened in the end.

You have a beautiful SS and it's going to look stunning in the original white

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
676 Posts
I did make a batch of 11 sets of door glasses two years ago, but they are all sold.
The giulietta ss had a different winding system with the three hole glass but they are adaptable to each other.
I used the Giulia ss winding system adapted to my Giulietta doors.
The Giulia ss system is much better with a vertical rail, the Windows have two holes

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I did make a batch of 11 sets of door glasses two years ago, but they are all sold.
The giulietta ss had a different winding system with the three hole glass but they are adaptable to each other.
I used the Giulia ss winding system adapted to my Giulietta doors.
The Giulia ss system is much better with a vertical rail, the Windows have two holes
Thanks Marc!......you're a great insurance policy :smile2:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I was about to say the same as Greig that the 616 likely corresponds to the body number. I would assume that this was cutomary for coachbuilders in the day as they build the body and gave it a number: It was so on a Flaminia Zagato I owned with the last three digits of the body number in all trim pieces (even the smallest around the hood air inlet), chalk marks on the bottom of the seats and on door panels. It also is all over my highly original Vignale Appia Convertible. I even found chalk marks as late as 1972 on my Junior Zagato (With the last two digits of the VIN as those do no longer have separate body numbers).

And it is true: For smaller volume production, the coachbuilders literally made or customized all trim for a specific body as tolerances could have varied from car to car, even if small.

Don't these cars have a tag, or stamp, for the Bertone body number?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Went to check out my pal Kevin's Giulietts SS this weekend. I was looking for the differences.....his resto is moving along and the car looks great. I'll share a few pics of his car. It was great inspiration.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
BTW....my SS came with these never used high domed Venolia pistons. Just read a thread back from 2006 by Chrish Boles....it was very interesting and we are also trying to figure out compression of these beautiful pistons. Anyone ever use Venoglia pistons?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,524 Posts
Carm, I have a set of 79mm high compression pistons similar to those, I know them as the Mondial Kit, alternatively the Conrero Conversion, which bumps a 1300 up to 1500cc.

What diameter are they ??

Ciao
Greig

·
Super Moderator
3,524 Posts
Those are 1750 bore size, makes a 1700cc engine out of a 1600, with high compression.

Should really wake that SS engine up........

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Those are 1750 bore size, makes a 1700cc engine out of a 1600, with high compression.

Should really wake that SS engine up........

Ciao
Greig
I'm putting the 121 cams on a glass shelf :wink2: Richard J is building me a set of 10.5mm lift for intake (RJR195) and using his 10mm (RJR 1032) he uses on the twin-spark motors for the exhaust side. If everything clears, car should be a blast to drive.

The duration on the RJR195 matches that of the Veloce cam @ 246 but should make more HP and a bunch more torque with this set-up.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts