Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to continue the documentation of the amazing Giulia SS (AR381357) that I purchased from Bryan Phillips who began this journey back in 2009.

This is a remarkable rust-free example and one of the very last Giulia SS's in production. I'm hoping to share things I'll be encountering through the process and I'm grateful to have David Brohan to help me bring this beauty back to an exceptional example. I hope to get some assistance from those of you who have completed this journey as we proceed.

The SS to me has always been a dream car and I have put myself in position to finally be able to have one for the remainder of my Alfa life. I'll admit, having to sell a few of my cars that have been with me for decades wasn't easy but I am grateful to having this new opportunity.

I'll start by re-sharing a few of the pics when Bryan purchased the car and go from there. I have received many positive comments about the 2-tone finish and will say that the current re-spray was performed by non professionals as noted in photos where the chrome was removed. While tempted to go with other beautiful period correct colors, I'm going back to the original Gardenia White. It's an easy choice for me since that is one of my favorite colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures of under dash area and dash prior to removal. The wiring is intact and hoping to just clean up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read a little about "hidden numbers" and haven't quite understood any correlation.......regardless, I'm finding a few things on this car I've yet to experience on the 101 Giulettas. Not only am I finding all panels stamped "616"....I'm not sure if other cars have different numbers, but my car has that stamped even on all chromed pieces. Moreover, someone goes back and writes that same number using chalk. See pics...

In the first pic you can see the original vapor barrier/seal under the door panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here one can see the stamped number. I also noted that on a "white" car.....factory used a simple bland white primer in hidden areas in lieu of the actual Gardenia White.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
....here is the hand written 616
Hi,
I think all low volume and hand but Italian cars had this. I have a touring bodied Lancia and they did something similar. I presume all parts were hand fitted then the car disassembled for painting and this number allowed them to match the parts back to the car after painting.
I have found the numbers stamped in to the firewall and door. It has no correlation to the Lancia chassis no or the final touring body no stamped on to the plate.
I have also seen this done on a Maserati.

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
489 Posts
Giulietta Sprints also have numbers stamped into or written onto some trim and body parts to identify the car they belong to.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are right......low production early Maserati and Lambo cars including early 750's had similar numbers.

When we began to take apart the dash pieces, the back of the leather wrapping was signed by either the installer or an inspector. The doors and rear side panels had both the 616 number and a signature.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
616 will probably correspond to the last 3 digits of the Bertone Body number - this is how Bertone kept track of the Sprint trim, logic says they used the same system when they built the SS's.

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
616 will probably correspond to the last 3 digits of the Bertone Body number - this is how Bertone kept track of the Sprint trim, logic says they used the same system when they built the SS's.

Aye
Greig
Greig......you don't mean chassis number?

·
Registered
219 Posts
the same on my giulia ss and giulietta sprint / on all the panels it is written with shalk the last 3 digits of the bertone number.

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
No the Sprints used the Bertone Body Numbers not the chassis numbers. I don't have hands on experience rebuilding an SS, hence my comment that logic says they did the same with the SS's as they did with the Sprints.

Check out this thread - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/163080-giulietta-sprint-veloce-61-abnormal-restoration-7.html - specifically from Post #99 to my posts #103 / #104 on the way Bertone kept track of the bits and pieces for each car - remembering that his old Corso Peschiera Factory was a bit of a rabbit warren with bits and pieces produced in every nook & cranny and they had to be hand fitted & fettled to each shell & the Bertone body number was how they kept track of what went with which car.

Unlike Spiders, Sprints are very individual in panel & trim fit. Bits from one car, need to be force-fed into another car and if you try marry up early & late car stuff, nothing fits. Farina got it right first time, so Battista Pininfarina slept well knowing his design was good. Nuccio Bertone slept equally well knowing Luigi-on-the-line and his cousin Giovanni would simply make it up as they went along.......

Of course this whole thread - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/163080-giulietta-sprint-veloce-61-abnormal-restoration.html - is *really seriously worth a look * as Don is building a miracle.

Ciao
Greig

1 - 20 of 128 Posts