Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jan 7, 2003.....9.30am.....my first baby girl was born. That afternoon, while my wife was recovering, my mobile rang......"I have a Sprint GT Veloce for sale........" said the voice on the other end.

I have been lusting after one of these rare stepfront Bertone coupe for a few years and started to look around for one seriously last year and there aren't many here in Thailand. Went to see the car the weekend after......and here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There's a lot of work to be done but at least the bodywork has been rust treated and resprayed in Gunmetal grey. The chassis number is 298241 - it's rhd so model/type 105.37 (original colour was white). There was no engine nor gearbox so I have a similar powered twin weber Alfetta 1.6 engine with modifications to the crankshaft and oilsump to take the gearbox and to look like the original engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning to do most of the restoration myself (if I can!) and this will be my first proper project (managed a restoration of a 1974 BMW 3.0CSI last year).

So, I offer my apologies in advance if I ask a lot of questions within this board from those who knows......!

Tre Pramoj
Bangkok, Thailand

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB.com hulia! (Is that Giulia in Thai?)

Nice looking '67 GTV you have. A real diamond in the rough. Good luck in her restoration. I'm sure she'll be a gem once you are done.

I noticed that the RHD pedals are spaced much wider apart than our LHD pedals. Is this the case with all RHD standing pedal Alfas? Heel-to-toe maneuvers should be much easier. I'm always rubbing my feet together.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Lovely collection of GTV's on the Alfa Lover Thailand site! Most of them have air conditioning. Even an older 1600. I'm sure with the humid conditions in Thailand this is a necessity.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are some purist who do not install a/c in the car....but you do not want to be stuck in traffic with 40C heat and black smoke from buses blasting out in front! The problem with installing a/c would be where to place the a/c radiator. It's quite a tight squeeze in the front.

As for the foot pedals, I'm not sure, Kai. Maybe because the steering is on the intake side, instead of squeezing in with the brake master cylinder, so more room to spread them out?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
So Hulia...you are saying that ALL RHD cars like yours have the pedals so far apart?

Personally, I would hate that! To me, part of the fun of every Alfa I have owned and now own is the close pedal placement, permitting easy 'heel and toe' maneuvers!

If it isn't a common thing, could it be that yours was converted from a LHD car? If I remember correctly, the original floor-mounted British and Australian cars had the same type of pedal box as the LHD cars.

Cheers,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe they just look like they're far apart in the picture..... they should be exactly the same as RHD models for UK and Australia. And don't think it's a conversion as Elvira Ruocco (from Alfa Archives) has already confirmed it's a 1966 GT Veloce and rhd.

Of course, I have not tried heel & toe in it yet! Let alone hear the engine starts! Can't wait for the day!

Tre

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good luck!!

I hope you have a lot of fun.....

I was tempted to pick up an 69 spider in similar condition...
but i just don't have the guts to do so much work...
not right now at least!!...

Paul.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts