Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in proces of restoration of one Giulia Spider Veloce 1965, and I'm interested how is chasis (body) from under (bottom) protected in original way. That is when it was manufactured. By this I mean:
was it first paint and then black undercoating ( fenders, floor )
or are there other ways?
Thanks, Zlatko

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Undercoating

Dear Alfa Veloce: As far as I can recall no Alfa was undercoated from the factory in the "good old days". My ancient spider was not. I undercoated with a rubber based black paint, and when I remove it now I see it was black paint covered (although original finish of spider was darker grey). So, if you really want to be original there would be NO undercoat, only good black paint. The spider veloce was originally for racing and weight was a factor. I do hope you will end up with a good veloce. Many of them do not have the original factory engines any more. Unfortunately many of us old guys just wanted them to run and realized the Normale blocks were the same as veloce blocks and when we stuffed a rod out the side we did not go though great pains of welding and fixing them. We just got a normale block and stuck the good pan and head and veloce liners in them and drove like the crazy guys we were. In Bellevue, Washington, there is a beatutiful 1965 veloce that is perfect and original (and for sale) except for normal block with all veloce parts. Might you have an extra veloce block? And do you know anyone who wants a 1965 Veloce who is coveting yours. This one would drive across the country if someone wants to do that -- fly into Seattle, pick up car and head out. Should make it to Florida. Give me a call. I'll give your more details. The owner is gone most of each summer on his boat, and has little time to enjoy the car he bought in Frankfurt in 1966.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I would like information for the Veloce Register about this car sent to me privately please. :) Sounds like he bought his Veloce the same way my car was bought. I would love to know more about how this car was purchased to add some information about how Veloces got here from Germany.

Yes, you are correct, the cars were just painted underneath. It was the dealers over here the sprayed on undercoating to protect the undersides from rusting. Even then, it wasn't always perfect to protect against rust. Ziebart was one of the first companies that really went the distance to rust proof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts