Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How is the braided line and copper tubing (oil pan to oil pressure gauge assembly) secured so that the connection doesn't flop around while driving?

I can see the items in the parts manual, but have never seen this setup in the flesh. Any/all explanations & photos would be appreciated, greatly.

Auguri,

Ray

·
Administrator
3,897 Posts
Ray it's quite simple, on the Giulia firewall are 2 mounting points with threaded holes which each take an aluminium block in a (b) or (p) shape. These are the swivels on either end of the throttle bar. One of these aluminium brackets has 2 small holes in the side of it - they are threaded and take 2 small screws which hold a P shaped metal tab. The braided oil hose is held in this P tab.

The routing for the Giulia oil hose is from the back of the gauge out the hole in the firewall beside the brake fluid reservoir and then down the firewall through the little P shaped metal bracket and under the exhaust headers along the block to the banjo off take just above & behind the oil filter mounting. You have the big Giulia brake fluid reservoir can.

The routing for the Giulietta oil hose is from the back of the gauge out the hole in the firewall, hard right behind the brake fluid reservoir and then down the firewall through the little P shaped metal bracket and under the exhaust headers along the block to the banjo off take just above & behind the oil filter mounting

Not the best picture, but it isn't an area many folks take pictures of - photo credit to Andrew Watry & the Spotted Pig - a '58 750 Series Giulietta Spider Normale

Aye
Greig

<Edited to separate Giulia & Giulietta>

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
I believe that on Giulias the hardline exits through the lower grommet , not the upper, but still passes through the bracket as described by Greig.
Shown on the Giulia Spider recently sold on BAT.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jkbartusek,

Is this due to the car-in question being fitted with disc brakes with the shorter-but-fatter brake fluid reservoir?

I notice that the nut on the end of the braided line is different than the flair nuts on the brake lines. Size of the reservoir notwithstanding, Is this a driver-designed assembly or is the nut-to-the-gauge assembly available for purchase?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ray, I don’t know what drove the change, reservoir change or addition of windshield washers.
The hardline fittings are DIN metric and may be available from Cohline, Bel Metric or Newco. The tube assembly I have seen advertised, possibly Classic Alfa, but I don’t know if it is meant for a Giulia.
I had a mangled original hardline and was able to reuse the original fittings to make a new one out of cunifer.
I take it you don’t have the old hardline?
Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,774 Posts
I should charge for breaks from Alfa work for photos, but that would make this "job" much less fun. Here is my unrestored late '65 Veloce Spider.

Three angles. See the bracket attached to the throttle cross bar mount?

I no longer use the original flex hose as they do dry out and break at inopportune moments, and that makes a REAL mess before you figure out ... "WHAT happened?"

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Greig,
Thanks so much for the description & explanation, of how all these individual items fit and work, together on both Giuliettas and Giulias.

Joe,
Thanks for the tip. I've emailed Filippo at CA to see if "750-061 OIL PRESSURE GAUGE FEED PIPE 750 & 101 SERIES CARS" will work on the '64 & '65 1600 Giulia Spiders.

Filippo was on vacation, but Tom says it will work just fine.

Gordon,
Thanks for the great photos as they show everything I needed. The wire-through-the-firewall thingie; the throttle control?

I know the choke control knob is just to the left of the throttle control knob, but how does it hook up to the carbs?

You guys always go above and beyond!

Ray

·
Super Moderator
11,774 Posts
It's a fast idle adjust. Connects to a tongue on the firewall crossbar to hold it positioned to crack the butterflies through the gas pedal linkage.

·
Administrator
3,897 Posts
Thanks Joe & Gordon, I amended my post above to separate Giulia & Giulietta

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greig,

In the spirit of appreciation, I have amended mine, as well :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts