Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I just bought a 1965 Giulia Spider Normale to keep my Giulietta company in the garage. I saw the car, heard it run, climbed underneath it, but haven't driven it yet. It is supposed to be being picked up shortly, and shipped out here for me to play with. My questions are the following. What should I expect it to drive like in comparison to the Giulietta? I know it has the correct 1600, 5-speed, disc front brake combo, but it seems to me that I have heard in the past that they are more of a touring car, and the Giulietta more of a nimble sportscar. Are there any inherent issues that I need to be aware of that may need tackling on these specific models? Also, I really dislike the gauges in the car as they look out of place with the vintage. Is it correct to have the black faced standard looking (GTV-ish) gauges, or is a '65 supposed to have the earlier gauge style like my Giulietta? Thanks, and I'm sure more questions will follow shortly!

·
Registered
147 Posts
check the rear suspension bushings; mine were shot and the car was a real "hopper" around turns. FYI trailing arm bushings are bigger than those of the Giuliettas.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Same/same

You'll probably notice a little more low-end torque, but if your Giulietta is a veloce, and your Giulia is a normale, power is about the same -- you just don't have to work as hard to move off zero. Since your's is a late Giulia, the instruments are correct with black faces and white wedge-like pointers for the speedo and tach, and a sort of orange color for the other small pointers. (I won't call them needles, as they're too thick for that term.) I think the instruments are easier to read, especially at night, than the Giulietta's, and since they pivot from the inner-part of the gauge, rather than hang from the outer edge, the temps tend to be more stable (less bouncing around with car movement.)
Congratulations! My 10123 that I drove as my primary car for over 13 years is still my overall favorite Alfa ( and overall favorite car.):)
Best o' luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts