Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

1) Did Alfa only use smooth leather and or vinyl on the 750-101 series cars? Did any have a "grainy" texture as seen on some British cars?

2) I think I remember that someone wrote that you could special order different color interiors (within reason, I imagine) on the 750-101 Spiders. While I'm fairly certain that Hot Pink would NOT have been an option, how far could you stray from OEM if you were willing to part with the $$$?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
434 Posts
My 101's original black vinyl is of the "grainy" variety. The spare tire/top rear curtain is made from much more of a thick vinyl than the trim pieces around the carpet & floor, and has a slightly different grain to it but still is grainy, not smooth. The door and rear quarter panels match that trim vinyl.

The dash pad has a smoother grain to it than the other two, with a sort of pressed (or) stamped out, long oval area for the defrost vent holes. If I had to guess, it looks like it was one molded vinyl piece to me by Alfa with the two metal frame pieces & dash hole studs underneath, not glued on its underside for the original thin foam. Maybe glued on the dash paint side, if at all? Most all of my vinyl had signs of brushed on glue except the dash pad.

Ray, you know how that "straying from stock" question goes: To each his own, but your tastes may not be of any value to someone else...or be exactly what someone else wants if you ever want to sell it. One of those may be a problematic future negotiating wallet-ache.

I went back and forth on getting leather seat covers myself before I settled on the original vinyl. But, I doubt a quality leather with a close-looking grain would lose points.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Vinyl only ……….. disregarding a wealthy person going directly to Farina and saying I want leather, I don't care what it costs.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your input!

This all started when I saw a stunning 2000 Touring Spider that was drop dead gorgeous with its wire wheels, black exterior and camel-colored interior.

While I already have new red seat skins and carpets, (came with the car, but not installed), I really would love a camel/natural leather-colored interior for my black Spider. I have seen some very nice vinyl on the Moss Motors website, but it is fairly grainy.

As far as OEM and resale benefit is concerned, my sons can debate the wisdom of my choices in 20 years or so, when I won't be driving it.

Barn101,

Would it be possible for you to take a couple of close-up photos of the items you mentioned and posting them here?

Again, thanks for the input.

Ray

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ray,
Sorry, I am on Amelia Island this week. I can mail you some of my vinyl when I get back, though.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barn101.

That would be great. Enjoy the week!

Ray

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Ray for a price Pininfarina would do whatever your imagination asked, ditto with Bertone, but as our little Jewels were already expensive cars when viewed against the contemporary offerings out there, Fiats and Morris Minors etc of the day, not too many people ticked the option boxes. Pininfarina would do special colours, leather upholstery, radio, a hard top etc, etc for the Spiders. Dealers would also do additional items, like Nardi steering wheels etc. Bertone offered fitted luggage and special luggage straps, rear seats, different radio's, steering wheels, driving lights, horns etc, etc for the Sprints.

Many owners today have fitted leather, we have it in Dad's '57 Spider, I got the 750 seats and door panels already upholstered. It doesn't look out of place, but then again it's a driver & a fabulous one at that, I've just done a 300+ mile round trip in it over the weekend to visit BB member Alfazagato.

I've bought leather to do Dad's '60 Sprint, it's going to be a slightly more luxurious Grand Tourer than the average Sprint ;)

Ciao
Greig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts