Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Spider Normale, 2015 4C
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working through decisions about the restoration of my 1965 Giulia Spider that I have owned for nearly 50 years. It has been waiting for a long time. I am going back to the original white exterior with red interior. I have been searching out various suppliers of interior seat upholstery kits and door panels etc. It seem challenging to get all pieces from one supplier and I would like to try and get as close to original look without breaking the bank. I am looking for recommendations on reliable suppliers who can provide the original look. If there has been a prior thread on this subject, I apologize but would appreciate help finding it or please share your thoughts here.

·
Registered
749 Posts
In which part of the country do you live? That may help if you would like someone here in the states to do it correctly. I used Elvezio Esposito in Italy for my seats, carpet, door panels and vinyl. They are online, and Donatella Esposito, whom posts here often, can help you. But “without breaking the bank” may be subjective. But hey, 50 years of saving up should have you in spades!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Indiana. Thanks for the suggestion. I just spent some time looking at the Elvezio Esposito website and found it very interesting. I had searched many times before and had not run across their site. Looks like they can supply all the various upholstered pieces I am looking for. I assume you were pleased with the results and the original look?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes sir, I was. I also bought 2 sq. yards of matching vinyl to then trace the original pieces in the floor areas. That was just enough. It was really imperative, at least for me, to slowly remove the old vinyl to help later with knowing how the new vinyl should be applied. The old carpet too. Are you wishing to re-do your dash and rear tire compartment drape as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have already struck up an email conversation with Donatella. I have asked about vinyl by the meter for the floor area. I do need to replace the dash covering and am looking at using their replacement dash vinyl piece as well as the rear tire compartment drape. I have asked to be sure the 101 series drape is the one that is held in place by the chrome perimeter trim and Donatella indicated it was. Did you use those pieces also? And if so, how did they look and fit?

I don't have the vinyl pieces from the floor to use as a pattern because they were long ago removed and tossed. Long before I thought about a more thorough restoration. I just drove it back then in the seventies and early eighties. Then it sat in the corner of my garage until recently. Things are moving forward now.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My trim is the same as yours for the stainless and trim, yes. I have not installed it yet. I am right in the middle of getting the interior parts installed. There’s more to it than I have hours since it’s in a storage facility. I have test fitted it however. I will say this about the carpet pieces; They are wider than the originals so you will need padding under them for the trans and prop shaft tunnel. Save every clip for your quarter panels and door cards. The spring steel in the originals are superior to the re-pops. I have already helped one member here with my original vinyl floor patterns. If you decide you may need them we can discuss it when you’re ready. After a 50 year wait, you sound like you may deserve a helping hand on something minor like that. I’m in northeast Ohio, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
12,243 Posts
Good thread guys! Watching you help one another is a pleasure!

·
Registered
749 Posts
He’s situated right between us Gordo...plenty of good interior folks with Giulietta and Giulia experience within a few hours if he wants some references. I enjoy doing the tedious stuff like that. Much more patience now than my first interior attempts in 1973!

·
Super Moderator
12,243 Posts
You are right! As a lover of these cars, when I see one that "knows" help someone that needs help, I see myself and THAT makes my day!

Reactions: Karter7

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the words of encouragement and welcoming words. I am sure I will be making great use of those of you with detailed knowledge as I go through this journey. Hopefully as time goes on I will be able to provide some answers and not just ask questions.

Thanks for the link to George Kraus's restoration.

@Barn101 or any others who might have. Did you purchase the vinyl dash cover? If so, how did it look and work out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And another question regarding proper color coordination of the interior components. My car was originally white with red interior and I plan to go back to the original color combination. The interior will be red seats with red piping, door panels red with red piping and red floor carpet with black rubber mats. My question is, should the rear top/spare tire drape be black or red? The drape is also a piece that is long gone. I thought I recalled it being black yet I see the drape is available in red, thus my need for an assist in direction.

·
Registered
749 Posts
And another question regarding proper color coordination of the interior components. My car was originally white with red interior and I plan to go back to the original color combination. The interior will be red seats with red piping, door panels red with red piping and red floor carpet with black rubber mats. My question is, should the rear top/spare tire drape be black or red? The drape is also a piece that is long gone. I thought I recalled it being black yet I see the drape is available in red, thus my need for an assist in direction.
The Spider drape color was recently discussed too. I think the consensus was they may have all arrived in black, but red seems to be a common choice to match red interiors now. All people who have owned any convertible top, boot-covering, or drape knows how much road dust quickly loads up on any light-colored fabrics, making them filthy. Makes sense why black may have been chosen for all car's exterior colors. Then again, lots of changes from 750s, to 101 Giuliettas, to the Giulias. Nothing is a sure bet. I personally love red interiors on white and black cars. I'd go with the all red theme. Very striking.

@Barn101 or any others who might have. Did you purchase the vinyl dash cover? If so, how did it look and work out?

Yes, I did buy one of EE's dash covers. Unlike your original 101 cover built with metal covered with thin foam just under the vinyl, their's are made with a fiberglass base covered in vinyl. A very common reproduction method now by most vendors. I may have just received a problem dash pad. Truthfully, I needed to do a lot of work to get my new cover to fit onto the my metal dash seam around the gauges. The fiberglass was not forgiving, of course: A lot of hours tweaking it to fit. After that. as in any paint job, if a surface is not prepped right, everything shows. Having to peel off the vinyl anyway to heat up and stretch the fiberglass to fit properly for the studs molded underneath, etc., I also sanded the surface to smooth out some lumps in the molded top. The vinyl was about as forgiving as the fiberglass to fit back on with glue around the curve over the gauges. Finally gave up, bought new vinyl that matched my original dash pad and stretched better. Came out perfect eventually. Again, it was probably just a bad dash mold I ended up with. They're hand made, so unique-to-each-Alfa appropriate! Just my bad luck and shipping back was not an option since it cost more that a new pad..

Btw, if you buy one to install, make sure your windshield frame is out if possible to do it. While you're at it, put your black crinkle-painted defrost deflector trim on while the glass is out. There is zero room to drill through the fiberglass at the correct angle for its 3 screws unless you come up from underneath, or mark the dash holes for those screws from below, then remove to drill before you finally install it.

There was a recent thread started by Bill Gillham searching for an existing source for a "correct" fitting dash cover. I think the final answer was he made his own. If you look up Giuiettaspokenhere dot com there are many resources and photos there of his numerous past and present projects which may help you. Top shelf stuff.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,243 Posts
I made my own dash cover for my '65. It appears original and is padded. I've pictures of the process I NEVER look at. The job took most of a winter, years ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Barn101 - Well, I guess "dash pad fit perfectly right out of the box" answer I was hoping for didn't happen. Sometimes the truth sucks. But seriously, I really appreciate you sharing information with detail.

@Gordon Raymond - If you are willing to share some information on how you crafted a new dash cover from scratch, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am somewhat inclined to purchase the reproduction dash cover as it seems like it would get me part way there. I am still mulling this one over.

Speaking of the defrost deflector trim, that is a piece that I do not have. Long story as to why it's not there that can be shared some other time. I have not found it as a part from any suppliers I know of. Does anyone have any source for one? Or does anyone have one from a parts car they are willing to part with?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Alfastop item# ICWB132 is what you want. Tony just asks that you fill out his EasyQuote, then confirm it by email when he answers.

I'm still getting the interior dialed in, but here's that dash pad. Rearview mirror is not in yet, obviously. That's another two holes to get right, as well.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts