Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me (or better yet have a picture) of the proper finish for the fuel fill cap on a '63 Giulia Spider? Mine was painted red for some reason. I'd like to strip off the paint and make it look more original.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, I did not think this would be a stumper of a question. All I need to know is whether the outer surface is chromed, shiny stainless, brushed stainless, or painted some color. Anyone?

·
Administrator
4,064 Posts
Mine are all electroplated in what was once shiny silver cadmium or bright zinc, but has dulled a little with the passing of 50 odd years (some more odd then others)

Brake fluid makes a very effective stripper if the paint is the same as the body finish, just make sure you wash it well afterwards & if the surface isn't rusty, try a mild metal polish, or if it is tired, then you can re-plate it.

Ciao
Greig

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've got a decent chemical paint stripper here so will try that, then repolish.

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
My factory finished '65 Giulia Spider Veloce is finishes a semi gloss black. Under the black is bare steel. Need a photo?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gordon, but that's probably not necessary.

·
Administrator
4,064 Posts
Hey Gordon, they were seriously into saving costs with your Spider, no gas cap plating, thinner sheet metal & only 4 wheels...... although it did end up with 4 extra plugs and a second set of points to balance things out :D

Ciao
Greig

SNO Director - South African Branch

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
They left out other stuff too. The sheet metal from the firewall forward is that thin stuff they used in the TI Super. No under hood insulation either!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
My factory finished '65 Giulia Spider Veloce is finishes a semi gloss black. Under the black is bare steel. Need a photo?
not that i have one to compare but a photo now is probably mandatory---

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
Tomorrow when I'm in my shop I get a picture.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stripped the red off today. It looks like it was (badly) painted red over gray primer over bare steel. The steel doesn't look smooth enough to have been plated so I'm guessing like Gordon's it was originally black.

I'll probably prime and repaint black once the methylene chloride paint stripper fumes evaporate from my garage.

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
Did you destroy much brain tissue with the stripper?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah, I wore a respirator. At this point I don't have the brain cells to spare!

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
Ok, here are the pictures of the one originally on my car when I bought it in late '65. Still there today. Looks like cadmium plating over the steel, but under the black.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Ok, here are the pictures of the one originally on my car when I bought it in late '65. Still there today. Looks like cadmium plating over the steel, but under the black.
Is that OEM rust? :D

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
Yup, and wear from the "Veloce" emblem pin through the trunk lid. Very uniform for 46 years of use. Note the symmetry of the two wear spots on the domed part, matching the two ways the cap can be tightened down! Every time I consider repainting it, I realize it's a FACTORY flaw, and I better just leave it that way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts