Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Giulia today for a long drive about 100 miles. On the way back about 10 miles before my house, I realized there was antifreeze leaking on my foot inside the car above the accelerator pedal, near the heater blower but it was hard to tell where exactly it was coming from. I did lose a lots of antifreeze bt my eye was on the temperature gauge, so it did not overheat and got home safely.
Any clue why it did this?

Giorgio

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
When that happened to me in my GTV, it was the heater control valve that was leaking.

·
Premium Member
22,277 Posts
Yup. Has happened to me a number of times. On a 75, it's probably the standard 115 plastic 1750/2000 valve that is not repairable, but must be replaced.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. I did check it last night and ordered a new control valve. I will replace it later on this week, because Sunday I will take it to Tutto Italiano car show to Larz Anderson museum in Brookline, MA.

Giorgio

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am having some problem taking off the heater control valve.
I took one nut (outer) off the stud and the (inner) nut is not coming loose, the entire nut and stud is turning at the same time, I don't want to take the whole heater box out. Is there an easier way of taking the nut out without turning the stud.
its seems I won't be able to take the car to the show this weekend. this is the first time this Giulia has given me a problem, well I will take another Alfa.

Giorgio

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Giorgio,

I don't know if I'm too late responding for this weekend but you could probably get away with bypassing the heater. Not like you'll need it. If you look at where the heater hoses exit the firewall in the engine compartment and trace them back to where they connect on the manifold and water pump, you could disconnect them at those points and put a length of hose between the pump and manifold. Won't earn you any concours points but might get you there.

I'm not sure what problem you're having with the valve studs. I've got a couple of heater boxes that I'll have a chance to look at on monday if you haven't figured it out by then. Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,

Have you had a chance to look at those heater boxes. I feel that the leakage was from the stud that was turning with the nut.
Its a pain in the *** taking the entire heater box. The space is so limited working under the dash, especially on the Super.

Giorgio

Giorgio,

I don't know if I'm too late responding for this weekend but you could probably get away with bypassing the heater. Not like you'll need it. If you look at where the heater hoses exit the firewall in the engine compartment and trace them back to where they connect on the manifold and water pump, you could disconnect them at those points and put a length of hose between the pump and manifold. Won't earn you any concours points but might get you there.

I'm not sure what problem you're having with the valve studs. I've got a couple of heater boxes that I'll have a chance to look at on monday if you haven't figured it out by then. Good luck!

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Sorry Giorgio, I forgot about it. I just stuck a note on my computer screen to check tomorrow. G'night.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Hi Giorgio,

Does your Nuova heater box have the hinged flap in front that opens toward the shifter like the old ('67 and earlier) Supers that we got in the U.S.? I just took apart one of the later styles (without the flap) and the bad news is that the stud is an integral part of the heater core. Pretty sure that you're going to have to take the whole box out to fix it and that core may not be repairable. I've got a spare core that I could pressure test if you're interested. If it passes you can have it for $25 + shipping. You won't know anything till you get the old one out though. If it's like most of them, the box is attached to the bottom of the upper dash with 4 8mm nuts on the mounting flanges. Not too bad if you have a 1/4" socket set with swivels and an 8mm combination wrench. 5/16" sockets will also fit, if that's any help. Let me know if I can help with any info.

Bill

·
Premium Member
22,277 Posts
If it's the plastic heater valve (1750/2000 type), the 6mm studs (10mm nuts) are brazed/soldered into the heater core, and a turning one means it's broken loose. I'd assume you'd have to swap in a new core or get that one out and have it fixed.

If it's the older cast pot metal valve (1600 type), the attachment is with tiny 4 or 5mm nuts and bolts, and I believe it requires opening up the heater box, after removing it, to change the whole valve.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is plastic valve.

I think the stud has come loose and the whole box needs to come out and resolder the stud if you can or get a new box.
Are all Giulia Super heater boxes same?

Giorgio

·
Premium Member
22,277 Posts
No. The fundamental difference here is the 1600 metal-valve type vs. the 1750/2000 plastic-valve type. They will each bolt into the same four-stud fitting as a unit on the underside of the cowl, but beyond that they're not internally interchangeable, with different fans, flappers, controls, air outlets etc.

I've seen three variations of 1750/2000 Berlina boxes, which is probably pretty much what yours is, and at least two of Giulia sedan ones (TI has different attachment point to metal dash from Super's fibreglass dash, for example).

Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts