Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I’m looking for more info on Giulia/Giulietta Spider racers, if you can help

I haven’t been able to find much online but maybe I’ve not searched well enough.

Were there many of these cars raced back in the day? I’ve found lots of replicas. How can you tell them apart?

I’m also looking to find info on how to convert a replica racer back into a Giulia Spider Normale

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Many were raced in the US from the 1950’s in G,F and E Production classes. Search for “Sports Car Club of America”. The last time one of them won a National Championship was in the 1990’s.

·
Administrator
12,816 Posts
If you are only thinking about factory built spider race cars, start with the 750 monoposto cars. Alfa did periodically make (usually 10-12) cars with differences from production. Very few ever appear as compared to general production. Most seen are production cars modified for racing by owners.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is one. This was a factory supported racecar in the 60's. Alfa Romeo gave my mom (Nadeene Brengle) this car to race in 1965 along with all of the parts and technical information in an attempt to win the SCCA national championship. The deal they offered was that at the end of the year she could return the car to Alfa or purchase it for $1. She qualified as an alternate/reserve driver and unfortunately did not get to participate in the championship race. I found, bought and restored the car and now run it in historic races.
Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Administrator
12,816 Posts
Once again, exactly back where it should be!!

Reactions: tom_brengle

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
What do you refer to as a 'replica'? I can tell you that a member of this forum (I do not have his permission to name him) recently restored a Guilietta spider SCCA racer. Hopefully, he will see
this posting and reply.

Here's a picture of my '62 SCCA racer. During my time there were a number of other Alfa's in action. At least 10 to 12 over the years. The leading names were Dick Blizzard and Al Leake. Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

I was located in the SF Bay Area so my contacts were somewhat limited to this area and those who chose to come race at Laguna Seca and Sears Point.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The Tom Mankin 104 Octane Boost 3-time SCCA Champ Giulietta has raced in SCCA in the last several years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts