Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine which of the grills are correct for my ‘67 Giulia Super.

See attached pics
778B5A42-3C29-4EC9-BE47-9D1D047E2D97.jpeg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea which year the change was made?
I have seen heaps of pics of alleged ‘67 cars with either type of grill

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
I think the full-width stainless base with two-piece cast heart is right for most. The five-piece followed, one can look at the parts book to see what chassis is was introduced in. VIN numbering went from 3xxxxx to 85xxxx late in late 1967, again not certain of the date but likely after the August vacation. But I don't think the grill style changed at that time. I believe all US market cars got the earlier style, our supply petered out in early 1968 but all were 1967 MY cars. You are where? I'll look at my parts book.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
The parts book shows the stamped center grill as a 1300 TI part, 105.39, the five-piece set coming into use with chassis 862001 LHD and 722591 RHD. The dates in my excel sheet vary a bit, but I'd put this somewhere between August and December 1967. If someone has an actual build date of a specific car in those VIN ranges, it would help.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My aussie Super was manufactured on the 23rd of May 1967 and has the split grille (first picture). I think many '67 and earlier examples have had the later style grille fitted due to the original grille being damaged, the early grilles are a bit fragile and near impossible to find.

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
Yes, plenty of that. There is a wagon here in Berkeley, has the early full-width grille but you can see where all the little nutplates were for the original five-piece grill. Had a good front-ender years ago and that's how it got fixed.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
A couple of us call the version with the early door cards, later steering wheel and five slat grille a Series 2, Version 1, Variation 1 (2.1.1): MY ’68 first produced in Sept. '67.

sounds like what you have. I’ve got a brochure for it somewhere. Will try and find it and post some pics

1 - 11 of 11 Posts