Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,938 Posts
Has a very undrag like roll cage ... hope it was not an old race car with an interesting history :(:mad:.

While it's sort of interesting, one wonders why you would pick a car thats main advantage is handling balance and sure footedness for a drag car? ... must have major Alfa one eye disease.
Pete

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wheel base is a bit short for a drag car - woo could be scary
also, those front flares are a bit redundant and would give unneeded aero drag ???

??? not sure how well thought through this actually is???

·
Registered
94 Posts
alfetta dragster

fabien at autosprint
is building a v6 twin turbo dragster,putting it into his old silver alfetta sedan,
when he gets around to it,been going on for 2yrs,
motor still on the bench

·
Administrator
11,938 Posts
It's actually one MORE interesting 105
Maybe but there is very little interesting about the drag scene. Lets see hmmm, big motor in a car ... yeah that should do it :rolleyes:

Should not be fncking these classic cars ... a 75 with same drive train would do just as "well" on the drag strip.
Pete

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To each his own is exactly right. Even though there may be very little of interest in the drag racing scene to alot of people (especially Alfa people), I think the planning and building process of a car like this would be ****in amazing.
And for all you know PSk, it could have been a scrap heap save. And if it had a manual transmission and was destined for the circuit, you'd probably have a totally different view of it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
is there any alfa drag cars floating around?
can't wait to see what it can do,never seen a real alfa motor in a drag car before,as we all know the big weak link in alfa is the drive line!
looks like he has taken car of this,with a c4 box:D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was a full tube-chassis 116 GTV-based dragster getting built by someone somewhere but I forget the details. Somewhere in Europe funnily enough. Had a full carbon body too.

Apparently serious dragsters are LHD to counteract the effects of tourque on the chassis. Drag cars that do wheelstands apparently always lift the front left wheel first so the driver is in the left to keep it heavier on that side.

·
Registered
94 Posts
does this dragster use a alfa motor?
there is plenty of gtv's using v'8 and *** turbo motors,
a guy in the alfa club has a circuit car gtv and has a just put in a supra motor and running gear in it,

·
Administrator
11,938 Posts
And for all you know PSk, it could have been a scrap heap save.
Most 105 series Alfas are scrap heap saves now (unless they have already been restored) ... thus your point is?

Why not make a spaceframe (and thus better) car and put a fibreglass body molded off a 105 series?

Anyway I have made my point, and the damage/work is done now and they are just cars :) ...
Pete

·
Registered
561 Posts
From what I know of this car at Autotech. It was a drag car once before and he bought it for nicks. It is LHD because the weight of the driver counteracts the torque of the engine or something like that. God knows.... drag racing to me is for troglodite meat-heads. But I admire the owner (Paul) for doing it with an Alfa engine: somewhat primitive, but that is what drag racing is...

There was a metalic purple berlina drag car that used to turn up to the Alfa day here in Canberra years ago. Had a supercharged boat anchor up front.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I re-read my post and realised it could come across harsher than intended (such can be the lack of subtlety in a quick typed message).

To each their own I say. If you want to go drag racing (god knows why), it may as well be in an alfa. If it has to be an alfa, I suppose a V6 engined, turbo charged 105 makes about as much (or as little) sense as any.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
A 5.0 litre Ford engined early seventies GTV was at the AROC convention in New Hampshire back in 2005. It ran the drag-strip, I don't know the times, but I heard it was fast. If I find a picture of it I will post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts