Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1561 - 1580 of 1689 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
1969 Giulia Super Biscione

Hello everyone,

Something happened to my first post, so I am going to try again here. My name is Bill Maloney, and I wanted to introduce myself and my new baby, a 1969 Italian market Giulia Super Biscione, AR884307. First of all I have been lurking on this forum since last year, learning as much as I could before I ever made a purchase, thanks to the wealth of helpful posts, files, and photos you have all compiled over the years. I can't thank you enough, and realize I still have a lot to learn. Back to my story - my daily driver is a 2017 Giulia TI AWD. I do have one other classic car, which is kind of an oddball. It is a Fiat 1500 Cabriolet, the precursor to the Fiat 124. Good looking but not exactly exhilarating to drive. I have a trusted Sicilian mechanic in Chicago who has done great work on it for me, and it is usually the only one of its kind wherever I take it. But I longed for a driver's car, one that I could take more than one passenger in, and one that would be practical for longer road trips. So last fall I asked my mechanic if he knew of anyone who had a Super that might be interested in selling it. And my jaw dropped when he said "I have one". Turns out he imported this car after finding it in Brescia a few years ago. Before that it was in Milan, and the libretto shows that it was originally in Cortina. Anyway, over here he sorted it - brakes, suspension, clutch, front seat belts, electronic ignition, alternator, and driver's seat replacement. And then the biggie - swapped the 1.6 for a 2.0 from a rusted out 1974 Berlina that he rebuilt and polished (AR01500*13798). He wasn't looking to sell it, but after thinking about it and the stable of other Italian classics that he has he eventually decided to part with it. Plus I told him he would still see it for regular maintenance, and he wouldn't have to work on it for free any more! I think the purchase price was fair considering the restored condition of the car.

Boy is it fun to drive! I keeping asking the family if anyone wants me to run any errands. The car is in nice condition with really no rust to speak of. One respray in its original beige cava. The only glaring issues that I see right now are that I want to swap the newer radio with one that is more period correct, there is something else nasty stuck on the dash that I will have to try to remove, the interior lights work manually but not with the little plungers that activate them, I have one burned out high beam, and I eventually want to put seat belts in the back as well. In due time. In the meantime I am thoroughly enjoying myself.

Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Thank you Tm. I had a beautiful 63 Lincoln Continental Convertible that I sold recently so that I could buy the Super. Most people don't understand my decision, but I think those in the know do, and I am confident I made the right choice. I can't take 5 others to dinner any more, but I can still take 4! And get there a lot faster too!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Thank you Tm. I had a beautiful 63 Lincoln Continental Convertible that I sold recently so that I could buy the Super. Most people don't understand my decision, but I think those in the know do, and I am confident I made the right choice. I can't take 5 others to dinner any more, but I can still take 4! And get there a lot faster too!
You can stuff at least two in the boot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone.
Finally posting after a few years of ownership. But just had to comment after taking my super up Independence Pass in Colorado. A perfect car for the tight, windy, very European feeling road. I was worried about how it would run going up to 12,000' but it was awesome. It didn't miss a beat. If there was one thing to complain about it was slow traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Well there it is! I wondered when this car would show up in photos. Very nice. So no troubles with jets and altitude?

As a teen, I traveled over that pass every day for a summer helping my dad do his geology work. We stayed in a dumpy motel next to a single chair lift in Aspen, walked to an ice cream shop after dinner. The central park was lined with VW busses (and some of his students!). There were no fur shops or private jets. I haven't been to the new Aspen so those pics are still in my head.

I'd like to take my Duetto over Beartooth Pass into Yellowstone Park, so from my house at 3000' to over 11,000. I assumed I'd have mixture issues.

Welcome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was always concerned with jetting but I cant even go to the grocery store without loosing 1000ft. I don't know enough to start messing with things that much so I have a spare set of plugs with me and keep AAA up to date.
Keep those memories, you might be disappointed with the way things are in Aspen. Still a great place but I have to admit to looking at the real estate adds for New Zealand.
Have to add a huge thank you to all the contributors to this awesome BB. I have learned a lot but still feel like I've only scratched the surface.

·
Registered
322 Posts
1750 Berlina

After a few years being seduced by classics from Japan, England and France, I am finally back to Alfa again. Having owned a number of Giulia’s, a GTV6 from 1985, a 156 and a couple of others I finally got my hands on a really nice 1750 Berlina from 1970. It has a 2000 front grille and light set-up but other than that, oh and the 2,0 litre, it’s pretty stock. I was also looking after an Alberta GT, chrome bumper model, but the one I wanted got away. And in some way, luckily, given tha;’t the Berlina is really growing on me.
In a couple of weeks I’ll be off to Oldtimer Grandprix to Nürnburgring with a few friends travelling in a different groups. Giuletta Veloce, Fiat 128 Rallye and my Berlina in on group, meeting up along the way with friends in Fiat Dino Coupe, Porsche 912, Datsun 240Z - all devoted and passionate drivers that use their classics to the full. It’ll be a round trip of around 2.000kms on country roads - going to be good.
#getoutanddrive

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ospizio Bernina (Switzerland) June 2018

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
There`s a certain stark simplicity about them which make them appealing. What turned out to be the problem? Ours is a `65 but unfortunately with a 1750 rather than the original 1600.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
The subtle differences of the early Giulia's make such a difference in my eyes. Although nothing is off course wrong with a later Giulia ;)

There`s a certain stark simplicity about them which make them appealing. What turned out to be the problem? Ours is a `65 but unfortunately with a 1750 rather than the original 1600.
The battery was not being charged off and on. I was stubborn/stupid enough to think we still had enough juice for some more kilometers, obviously I was wrong...

Got the battery out of the Junior, back to the Giulia, installed it and home we went. Still need to figure out what on earth is the problem. Alternator was tested and alright, swapped the regulator over from the Junior which didn't help. This weekend I'll swap the alternator and regulator between the Giulia and the Junior to see wether the problem is in either of those.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,028 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,028 Posts
Love that color combo, faggio over tan. Looks like a proper well-sorted car. Are those Solexes?? Congrats. ROADTRIP!!!

1561 - 1580 of 1689 Posts