1161 - 1180 of 1681 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Woo hoo!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Fred, stop showing off. We have mountains in South Florida too......Mount Trashmore! Next time you're down we'll do an event there. It's the 2nd highest point in Florida last time I checked.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yes, Ive seen it. Lots of wildlife on the mountain too. Rats and seagulls and quite an aroma.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
TI Parts

I'm looking to buy a '70 1300 TI - two headlight. Are any body parts still available for these cars. I might need a pass. door and certainly rocker panels.

What about the Dash top pad, rubber doors seals, other sheet metal.
Help is appreciated.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Looking good Mark! With all the nice scenery up that way, how about some coastal ocean shots??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Giulia in HU - article

I guess this belongs here due to the nice pictures of the 1300 TI in the gallery:
Totalcar Magazine - East of Eden - The Alfa that could bend time
(the author is my favourite Hungarian classic-car journalist, who decided that now his works shall also be enjoyed by non-Hungarians :) I love his stile)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
1300 TI Examined

Really nice article, thanks for posting. They stick to your ribs like oatmeal.

Reserving this spot to add a few photos and dialogue on 1300 TI's later.

--------------

I ran into a nice '70 1300 TI recently. Don't see many on this side of the pond. Of the ~560k Giulia TI & Super sedans made, some ~144k were 1300 TI's made from 66-72 - about 25% ! Notably, with the 28k Giulia 1300 Berlinas and 115k Giulia 1300 Supers, slightly over 50% were 1300's!

The one I ran into had a fresh warm (10.4 Borgos) 2L and 4.10 rear end, and dual Delorto DHLA40H's. It really scoots! It was exceptionally clean, unmolested and rust-free. This specimen had single circuit Ate power assisted brakes, floor mounted pedals, and a hydraulic clutch, and a ZF steering box.

The 1300 TI (105.39) was a downscale model trim wise, besides just having the 1300 with a 5.12:
- 3 bar grill vs. five
- two vs four headlamps
- the smaller TI tail lights
- no exterior trim appointments as with most early 1600 Supers and TI's (window gutter trim, hood spear, Bollino d'Oro badge, rocker spears, and more on Bisciones)
- no underhood light
- no cigarette lighter in the ashtray
- foot pump not connected to wipers
- rubber floor mats
- no A-pillar kick panel floor vents
- Formica wood dash trim with no apparent radio cut out and no blanking plate
- black plastic around gauges and no clock, like the 1600S, oil and water incorporated into tach & speedo, fuel in the middle
- no 1/4 light winder but latches
- no brightwork around interior light switch, like the Unificata 72-74 Supers later

But it had some holdover items form the earlier, pre-MY68 TI's and Supers which are arguably nicer:
- the full front bucket seats with no center tray, 3 switches on lower left as with 65-67 Supers
- umbrella handbrake
- smaller exterior door handles
- fine fluted interior door/window handles
- this sample had the front thin profile stainless bumper (reportedly the rare "Ilea") with the profile of the early Supers but in stainless, but with the later larger boxy over-riders but with cutout to fit these (the rear was standard post 67)
- stainless steel headlamp bezels

And some features are just neutral:
- welded door hinges (like they kept a stash of TI bodies for these)

Other features to my eye are in-line with period Supers.

These are enchanting sedans with a Zen-like simplicity that highlights the basics - the body form and car function with no spunk - as the article above and these pictures capture. This car had some non-standard features such as window gutter/A&C-pillar trim added and some nice tweed carpet mats. As well as the drive train upgrades. This one is a wolf in sheep's clothing now.

Enjoy the tour!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
And a few more:

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's interesting that changing out the engine and drivetrain is seen as an enhancement on many of these cars. Opposed to say changing out an engine on an early 911 with say a later engine which is generally regarded to devalue the Porsche.

Does it just come down to a numbers game - so many Giulias made vs not that many early 911's.
Or is it just the lower value of the Giulia doesn't really matter what we do to them.
Or the 1300 is just so anemic no one wants to drive one?
Maybe just the nature of these cars that the engines do interchange, bodies rust, the availability is there so why not modify?

Interested in others thoughts.

Maybe the wrong thread to pose these questions.
Just seems like so many of these have the engine changed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
very nice car;

ok for you and the US. Bad for Holland loosing - again - a very good looking Giulia to the US of A.

have fun with it.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
very nice car;

ok for you and the US. Bad for Holland loosing - again - a very good looking Giulia to the US of A.

have fun with it.
I'm always in awe of the dutch and how many classic Alfas they snaffled out of the rest of Europe before they got trendy again and expensive. :001_smile:

Its only fair that the rest of the world pilfer a few back!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
It's interesting that changing out the engine and drivetrain is seen as an enhancement on many of these cars. Opposed to say changing out an engine on an early 911 with say a later engine which is generally regarded to devalue the Porsche.

Does it just come down to a numbers game - so many Giulias made vs not that many early 911's.
Or is it just the lower value of the Giulia doesn't really matter what we do to them.
Or the 1300 is just so anemic no one wants to drive one?
Maybe just the nature of these cars that the engines do interchange, bodies rust, the availability is there so why not modify?

Interested in others thoughts.

Maybe the wrong thread to pose these questions.
Just seems like so many of these have the engine changed.
Yes, yes, yes and yes. You hit it all. I lend weight to the fact that it is a bolt-on mod and easily reversible and there are plenty of 1300 engines laying about. Not particularly rare cars except here in the US (and perhaps SA and Oz) where there are some 300 runners listed on the Giulia register. I've driven a 1300 Giulia and while "sweet", it was uninspiring, even unloaded. I did not get a tingle down my leg. The kids old Tercel had more oomph. The 1300's were an economy low-tax line. Speaks for itself. It was a sheep in wolf's clothing. I say let it snarl!

I probably should have posted this in the Super/TI differences thread where the discussion would have been more appropriate. My bad . . . But the post just before on 1300 TI's was a nice segway.

ZZ_jr - Not mine, I just examined it. From what they tell me at port, with the favorable Euro exchange, there are as many nice cars, many US muscle cars, going that way. And acres of John Deere tractors and combines. We don't hoard them. At the price point of these cars, shipping is not as big a percentage anymore, but I bet you are not willing to pay what they fetch over here! But then again I have seen some high prices posted in DE.

Attachments

1161 - 1180 of 1681 Posts