Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 200 of 1698 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks 101/105 Guy, will definitely look out for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Allure of Giulia Super

I hope this post generates some discussion. I've always like the spiders and GTV cars, but don't know very much about the Giulia Super. I'm looikng for people to describe the allure of Giulia Super. In one of the books I read, the Giulia Super was described as a "cult car".

Also what is the market like? There appears to be many more Supers produced than GTVs.

I appreciate any replies,

Jack

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Cult car means it has a lot of personality and/or performance, went unappreciated for a long time, and more recently has come to be appreciated by a larger audience than the original "fringe" devotees. Some of us have known how good they are all along (smiley; I bought my first one in 1977).

They have looks, individuality, performance, practicality, ease of upgrading, everything. Go to Berlina Register, which is mostly about Berlinas, but also includes comparisons of Berlinas to Giulias, to read up and understand why. Maybe the best thing to do is drive one. World's greatest car.

Andrew

·
Registered
502 Posts
World's greatest car, indeed.

It could be said too that "a lot of personality" means its looks weren't/aren't to everyone's immediate liking. I remember seeing the tail end of a Super and wondering what was being smoked in the workshop that day. Slabby with overhangs and undulations? Weird! On the other hand, the front end's charms are immediate, with a look that's both scowly and adorable at the same time, like an angered puppy.

Driving a Super is a much different experience than driving a GTV or Spider. You're sitting in a more natural upright position, with gads of visibility and an easy reach to the steering wheel. It's not a "sports car" feel, but you haven't really sacrificed any of the performance.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
In places other than the USA, the Supers (and Berlina's) probably appealed to younger people starting families, room for the kids. I don't know the numbers but the Giulia Super was only imported into the USA for a couple of years in the mid 60's. My '72 was brought over from Italy in 1999. Also part of what attracted me to them, is that they are a lot more comfortable for larger (taller) people than my GTV was. And a lot of people consider the Super's the first mass produced Sports Sedan. And as Andrew suggests, try to drive, or at least get a ride in one, and form your own opinion as to their greatness.

Beside, how can you not love the styling?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Who could not love a car like this (TI Super race version)?

Yes, as always agreeing with Aaron that I have long thought the Giulia body was a perfectly melded combination of ugly and cute at the same time, from the same design elements. Many of them (scallops on sides and roof, recessed Kamm tail, short nose and long trunk, steep windshield) were allegedly for aerodynamic reasons, reportedly giving the Giulia a better airflow than almost anything else in the early 60s save the Citroen DS/ID.

This rhapsodizing could go on forever. Aaron has two of these, I've had six (and about 15 Berlinas, the next-gen Giulia). We've drunk the koolaid big-time on Giulias, as have many others here. If I had only one car, it would be a Super.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,855 Posts
Not only do they have technical features way in advance of most cars of the era which translated into way better than average (for the time) on road performance, they are made of way above average materials, better machining etc so are a high quality product overall but dressed in an interesting body which once again after the initial reaction of -"that`s a bit strange", or that`s ugly one becomes fascinated by the detail-and the looks do grow on you.
Maybe the best feature though is that they are a car for the Cognisenti-those that know and appreciate. But aside from the quality and performance (a real sleeper) they are highly functional as an everyday car. Giulias as far as classics go are even economical-talk about cake and being able to eat it too but you have to drive to really appreciate.
There is something nice about not following the common herd isn`t there.
Personally though I think real Cognisenti have Ti`s, Super`s are dead common.

Richard J

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
In a way it is funny how there is this strong association amongst the alfa community for the sedans, which traditionally are seen as less glamorous as their sibllngs in the coupe and spiders. There is also an element of this in the Giulietta range and of course the Alfettas as well.

I too recall when seeing my first Giulia sedan,a grey and white Ti 1600, thinking what an ugly car but thankfully over the years the Giulia grew on me. My brother first bought a Ti 1300 and after going for a few rides in it was totally hooked. I knew I too would have to get one. He also eventually acquired that grey and white TI 1600 (as a wreck), while I am onto my 2nd Giulia Super. A bit of a long term resto project.

However, over the years I have had the opportunity to drive various Supers and every time you get out of one you have this smile on your face. Don't get me wrong I also love the coupes and have a 1750 GTV and would love to have a replica GTA and a duetto, but I am not sure I have the $$ for such cars at this time, nor will.

In Aus, from what I recall they only brought in around 400 Giulia sedans, whereas I am sure far more coupes were imported. This too is reflected in what you see for sale at any time, on the road and at Alfa events. Basically the Giulia sedan is rare now. Its status is well recognised and pretty much any Giulia will be restored.

If you want the most under-appreciated Alfa sedan try the Berlina, for it offers most of what the Giulia does but is slightly bigger and more luxurious. Having owned a 2L Berlina and driven quite a few over the years, these too are great to drive, and I definitely would love to have a 1750. Check out Haigs 1750 Berlina if you want to know what I mean.

Anyway, I agree with all said here on this thread, if you get the chance take both a Giulia and/or a Berlina for a drive. They are addictive. Dave

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Solid, definitely. When I drive my Cortina I feel like I'm going to break it compared to an Alfa. It's more solid seeming, especially bodily, than modern cars like my wife's BMW 328i.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I really can't describe the allure of my Super, which I've owned since 1981- and it's my second Super, actually, so I must really like 'em. I guess the term "quirky charm" fits them well. I still get a tingle looking at it in my garage, 28 years on. :)

My parents were "Alfa people", so I literally grew up in Alfa's. A good friend in the AROSC turned my parents onto a Super for sale locally, I drove it, and it was love at first drive. Compared to a modern car, they're small, light, and feel very "mechanical' to drive, in a good way. Interior is gorgeous, IMO.

Buy one, and you'll see!

Attachments

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,855 Posts
Peter, is that Super of yours pictured Grigio Graphite? If it is my Ti is that colour too so the eyes ***** up.
You and Andrew are right in that they feel very solid, light and agile and have a nice mechanical feel to drive in a way the coupes don`t quite have. They have a higher quality feel to them despite being underneath the same car. My oldest son said to me when we first got our car-"these are better built than our coupes Dad." and he`s right. One only has to open and close the doors to see the difference-reminds me a little bit of my old Lancias that feel of old style quality although I think Lancia were at a higher level again.

Richard J.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
What more could be said ??

I agree with every one else !
Have had dozens of 750,101 and 105 alfa since 1971. Only had a Super 2 years and I am completely hooked !
Fun, unique, practicle....
I just keep finding reasons to drive it and leave the others at home.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
In 50's hot-rod parlance, a "sleeper" is a normal looking car that that's, in fact, highly modified and very fast. Most people outside the Alfa community think of Supers as only slightly better Renault Dauphines when, in fact, they have the full running gear, engine, trans, suspensioin, of the 105 sports cars. The boxy looking bodywork is intentional: it was designed in a wind tunnel and is very efficent. They're sleepers because they're much faster and better handling than they look. Generations of European school kids were transported back and forth in a little sedan that could also run all day long at 100mph.

True story, although I can't remember where I heard it: Back in the day, a guy used to make the Milano/Rome run in a 330TG Ferrari. Although the car was much faster, he found that about a 100mph cruse fitted the car and so that's what he usually did. Using the Ferrari's power he could esaily pull away from just about anything on the Autostrada and then he'd slow to a 100mph cruse. But when he did that, as often as not, there were usually two kinds of cars that would appear in his rear-view mirror and slowly begin to pull up on him. One was the Citroen DS21, the other was the Alfa Giulia Super.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Preaching to the converted...

Last year, logistical complications necessitated the sale of one of my saloons...I kept my beloved Super...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hope this post generates some discussion. I've always like the spiders and GTV cars, but don't know very much about the Giulia Super. I'm looikng for people to describe the allure of Giulia Super. In one of the books I read, the Giulia Super was described as a "cult car".

Also what is the market like? There appears to be many more Supers produced than GTVs.

Jack
My $.02...

I had a '78 Spider and it was tremendous fun to drive. However, over time--and this seems to happen with certain other Alfa folks--you begin to look towards the sedans because of their unique styles and innovative/advanced items for 40-some year-old vehicles.

I equate it to flying--when you get on a commercial 737 there is not alot of sensation of flight beyond the take-off and landing. When up in a smaller craft, you definitely appreciate that you are flying and can enjoy normal flight sensations so much more due to the small size of the platform and proximity to the pilot/actions required to manuever the craft.

The Super lets you appreciate the basic fun of driving. It is a solid car and with a decent suspension and tires, it can be thrown about fairly harshly. The interior is laid out nicely and there is not a lot of excess 'stuff' on the dash to get your attention. Mechanically, I find it much easier to work on than the Spider due to higher ground clearance and generally easier access to things. Plus, it will hold 4 or 5 people :)

Market-wise, I'm on the East Coast and bought mine sight unseen notwithstanding that it had rust/paint issues. There are just not many Supers floating around on the East Coast. You might check Andrew's Giulia registry and see if anyone has a Super near you. There is one on Craiglists now on the West Coast. That one has not been driven in years and has been discussed on another alfabb thread. Based on my experience, it is worth bringin a Super back to good standing if you can get it at a decent initial price.

Hope that helps a bit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
If you're used to post-Giulietta Spiders, a Super or Berlina is going to feel like a battleship (in a good way) by comparison. With the roof, they are inherently much more solid a structure, and I personally think Alfa- and Bertone-built cars are more solid than Pininfarina-built cars. Whenever I drive a Spider I'm amazed how much it creaks, groans, and twists, and just generally feels tinny. A Super will feel much more solid and Mercedes-like.

Andrew

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm currently owning not only one but ... 3 Supers !!!

Drove a lot of 105. All have their own personality.

The 4 door sedan needs another point of view: The question is NOT "Why do you BUY this car" but "Why do KEEP this car". We always buy alfas for the 'bad' reasons: The Style, the engine noise and the supposed performances.

But we keep them for the 'good' reasons: Practicality, comfort, reliability. On these, the Super have plenty to offer, and even more.

The ride is definitely better than the GT and the spider, the car remain comfortable in every situation, assuming that the car is using the stock setting. And the Sedans are AIRPROOF, due to double sealing system and good engineering of the door frame and general drag ratio: No air leaks and continuous whistling of the GT.

Due to longer wheelbase than the spider and the GT, the sedan is much more stable, with a much more predictible rear axle. You feel quickly very confident in the car

But the definitive positive aspect of the sedan needs no comment:

P1060803_resize_2.JPG

P1060820.JPG

P1060855.JPG

definitely a car which is usable and enjoyable on a daily basis.

7 years now that the Bertone GT is sitting in a garage, slowly covering with dust. I will sell with absolutely NO REGRETS to complete the restoration of one of my beloved Super

Regards
Sébastien

Reactions: Blu Hollandese

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It is really great to see a Giulia actually being used in an everyday practical, family sort of way. In a hobby such as ours it is much easier ,if you have a family, to convince one`s female partner the hobby isn`t a huge waste of time and money- and that all in the family can enjoy together.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Richard, with six Alfas that's gonna take a lot of convincin'.:)

" . . . Gee, honey, what was I going to do? It just followed me home. . ."

181 - 200 of 1698 Posts