Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have ment to write here for months but it seems one has never time to do these things. But here goes:

Early 2000 I bought a Giulia 1600 Sprint as my first car (and Alfa). I just liked the design. Since then I have broused through car adds. In 2002 I saw a add for 1600 TI 1962. I thought that these to cars might have some similarity and off we go to buy another. This was a barnfind that had been stored from early 1980´s. "I drove 140 km/h and the bonnet hitted the windshield, I just had it fixed and lost all intrest, that´s why it was stored", said the owner. The car looked good but everything is not as they look, like we all know...

I had the car stored until 2009 spring. I was thinking what to do and decided to fix it for registration and sell it. "Takes too much space, I have one and that´s enough", I was thinking. I was lucky to have met a person that was willing to fix the rusty parts (I sold him a 1600 super that was my daily driver). We trailed the TI to his garage. I started to handle the paperwork and decided to check the cars history.

In Finland the authority for car registration was formed in 1965 and before that the documentation was in different province offices. Not all documentation have survived.

TI had only few known owners. The fellow that I bought the car. He had it registrated only very short time in the early 1980´s. Before that it was stored from 1968. This owner owned TI for 3 years. Owner before that was a car dealership. The trail ended to this since all the earlier documents from that province had been destroyed. But the documents had a former registration number. I knew that I had seen it somewhere.

I have a book of Alfa history in Finland. I broused it through several times in the early morning hours. And there it was. After few weeks later I also found a local motorsport magazine with picture of the car in a hairpin in the Rally Monte Carlo 1963. The car was the only Alfa to finnish RMC in 1963 and it was driven by a private Finnish driver.

OK. The car was off from the sale list and back in the project list. The person earlier mentioned took the challenge to do all the metalwork for the TI and not just "fix it for road".

A lot of work is still to do but the target is 2012 Giulia 50 anniversary. Dream is to drive it to Milan and take a sidetour to Monte Carlo.

-AS

ps. Also I was able to buy a 1963 TI as spareparts car. It is in good condition and it seems that even two early TI´s might hit the roads again in some future time...

Pictures: 1. in storage 2004 (with Sprint winter wheels). 2. From 1965 Finnish book:"Monte Carlo drivers". 3. parts car purchase trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I believe there is a cutaway drawing that is reproduced in one of the Alfa books that describes the Rally Monte Carlo preparation of the Giulia TI's. Have you seen that. If not, I'll start digging through my literature or maybe someone else will come up with it.

Hi,

I have ment to write here for months but it seems one has never time to do these things. But here goes:

Early 2000 I bought a Giulia 1600 Sprint as my first car (and Alfa). I just liked the design. Since then I have broused through car adds. In 2002 I saw a add for 1600 TI 1962. I thought that these to cars might have some similarity and off we go to buy another. This was a barnfind that had been stored from early 1980´s. "I drove 140 km/h and the bonnet hitted the windshield, I just had it fixed and lost all intrest, that´s why it was stored", said the owner. The car looked good but everything is not as they look, like we all know...

I had the car stored until 2009 spring. I was thinking what to do and decided to fix it for registration and sell it. "Takes too much space, I have one and that´s enough", I was thinking. I was lucky to have met a person that was willing to fix the rusty parts (I sold him a 1600 super that was my daily driver). We trailed the TI to his garage. I started to handle the paperwork and decided to check the cars history.

In Finland the authority for car registration was formed in 1965 and before that the documentation was in different province offices. Not all documentation have survived.

TI had only few known owners. The fellow that I bought the car. He had it registrated only very short time in the early 1980´s. Before that it was stored from 1968. This owner owned TI for 3 years. Owner before that was a car dealership. The trail ended to this since all the earlier documents from that province had been destroyed. But the documents had a former registration number. I knew that I had seen it somewhere.

I have a book of Alfa history in Finland. I broused it through several times in the early morning hours. And there it was. After few weeks later I also found a local motorsport magazine with picture of the car in a hairpin in the Rally Monte Carlo 1963. The car was the only Alfa to finnish RMC in 1963 and it was driven by a private Finnish driver.

OK. The car was off from the sale list and back in the project list. The person earlier mentioned took the challenge to do all the metalwork for the TI and not just "fix it for road".

A lot of work is still to do but the target is 2012 Giulia 50 anniversary. Dream is to drive it to Milan and take a sidetour to Monte Carlo.

-AS

ps. Also I was able to buy a 1963 TI as spareparts car. It is in good condition and it seems that even two early TI´s might hit the roads again in some future time...

Pictures: 1. in storage 2004 (with Sprint winter wheels). 2. From 1965 Finnish book:"Monte Carlo drivers". 3. parts car purchase trip.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alleggerita:
I have not seen such picture or book. It would be great if You (or someone else) would have the time to dig it.

-AS

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi There.
I very am interested reading your story.
I have a 62 Ti as well, and I wonder what yours really looks like in more detail.
Can you post some pics of the interior, engine bay and the chassisnumbers??

/Joost

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alfa2go: No they are not (unfortunately). They are standard Sprint wheels from my Giulia 1600 Sprint 1962 with Hakkapeliitta spike wheels from 1982 (still in good condition for car to be stored on).

Giuliettalover:
I have seen the pictures of Your awesome TI. Congrats.

My intrerior is the same than in Your pictures but not in such a good condition. The car is dismanteled so I will post pictures of the build up.

The engine seems to be from the car. The engine number is lot earlier than in the spareparts car. The chassis number is AR402XXX and it was build late September 1962.

Few years back I bought a stripped 1600 engine. It has parts from 1600 Super but the engine block and head is few thousand number earlier than the engine on my TI. Sometimes one has luck on things.

The car had it´s first known accident in Monte Carlo (according to magazines at the time). After that it has been in accidents several times (1968, 1982). For example the left front wing was welded with brass to the body.

I will post the ups and downs of the project as time passes by. Now it looks that it is possible to build one quite good TI out of the two. But there are still lot to do: for example it was quite hard to find front bumber for the car.

If You do not mind I might have "few" questions during the build up.

-AS

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you need pics for the rebuild, just let me know, I'll take them from my car.
(as long as I do not need to take it apart for those pics.)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Just found the drawing. It is reproduced in Giovanni Catarsi's "Alfa Romeo Giulia" by Giorgio Nada Editore. It is on page 56, but it is for a later Super rather than a TI. It shows special equipment like a second spare mount behind the fron seats, tank reinforcement strap, header/downtube protector, extra rear mounted battery,headlight covers, extra heater for front screen & rear window,folding spade, tool storage, etc.

If you'd like a copy, pm me with a fax number.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
What can you share about the brakes? 3 shoes up front? Brake booster? Since this car was raced, does it have any special parts that you can tell when compared to the other TI?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allegrita: Thank You for Your help. I think I can loan the book.

velocedoc: They are standard 3 shoe brakes on front just like in Giulia 101. No booster. If I remember right even the brake cylinder is the same than on Giulia 101. Rear brakes are the standard 2 shoe brakes. This applies to both cars.

The 1962 TI has had oil pan guard and extra lights (as on the book picture below).

It also has had seat belts that are attached under rear seat. I have seen pictures on AlfaBB of a 1964 TI with suchs seatbelts. This is one of the items that I am searching. If someone has them but is not willing to let go of them I would appreciate if someone could measure and foto the belts so I could reproduce them.

It still has a seal and a piece of seal thread "next to" chassis number from one of the races (raced more than once ?).

The engine has been repeared and the pistons were out of ordinary. Pistons had extra slot and extra piston rings in the slots.

It also had hard welded pieces of pipes on both sides in middle of the sills for quick tire change but these came of since there was indication that they are a later "option" and also looked extremely awful.

The car has some 70 000 km on the clock and considering the history (time in different storages) it even might be true. To verify this one needs extra hard digging but I have a clue were to start.

The 1963 TI has atleast one extra: the rear window blower.

And of course both cars are with column shift and bench style front seat. Unfortunately the interiors are in diffrent colour but the floor mats are the same.

-AS

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Just found the drawing. It is reproduced in Giovanni Catarsi's "Alfa Romeo Giulia" by Giorgio Nada Editore. It is on page 56, but it is for a later Super rather than a TI. It shows special equipment like a second spare mount behind the fron seats, tank reinforcement strap, header/downtube protector, extra rear mounted battery,headlight covers, extra heater for front screen & rear window,folding spade, tool storage, etc.

If you'd like a copy, pm me with a fax number.
Can those without a TI now get a copy of the cutaway?

:cool:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Bob, you don't even post pictures :confused::eek::mad::D
I am challenged in the scanner department. I've lost my cable and don't have the right software for the current computer. But If you PM your fax number ...

Or you could always extend your library ;)

Can those without a TI now get a copy of the cutaway?

:cool:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Few pictures on progress that has been done during last winter and spring.
1. Left front inner sill, a pit rotten?
2. patched up, inner sill attached
3. outer sill attached
4. Reoriginal parts are for younger cars so they have to be modified. This is an example of one modification.
5. floors were original and in good shape exept for the jacking points.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And few more:
6. Battery tray and same side front pillar was damaged.
7. Pillar fixed (made out of small metal parts and compared with the parts car)
8. Front and hood fitted
9. Right rear wing. Inner wing was cut as show in the picture by a earlier fixer. The job had been done halfway. The hole was fixed with wood, tar/oil and cloth.
10. Fitting of panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
On tour to the Centennial

Here some pics driving through the Alps to Milano.
All went great except for some fuel starvation due to dirt in the tank

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nothing much to update but a question for You all

Thank You all for the lovely TI pictures.

I have a little update with a question about bumbers:

In the picture below,
1. is a incorrect front bumber early TI´s (more like 66->) which was attached to the 1963 spare parts car.
2. is the correct front bumber with "dips" for 1962 TI (which I bought from Italy with my google Italian).
3. is the rear bumber that was on the 1962 TI (which I think is not correct but from some other early car, I believe)
4. is a bumber that I bought from Italy and is not correct for 1962 TI (more like Super 1965->)
5. is the bumber that was attached to 1963 TI which I believe is the correct one.

Which rear bumber is correct?
Giulettalover: Which kind of rear bumber do You have? number 5?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,289 Posts
Here is a picture of my 67 US Super and a friend's 65 Euro TI. I believe these bumpers are correct for each car. The Super has the overriders farther out, under the vertical trunk separation. The TI has them more inboard. My non-scientific experience is that Supers have stainless, early TIs have chrome. Have you tried a magnet on your various bumpers?
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bumbers:

3. Chrome (or just nickel-plated?)
4. Stainless
5. Chrome

Number 4 is from early Super. I am now more certain of that (Thank You Andrew for the picture). So the bumber is no use for me so I am thinking to put it up for sale.

Number 3 and 5 are both very early but they are different. On number 5 the overriders do not cover the whole bumber. On number 3, they do cover the whole bumber, all the way to "bottom line". I believe the number 5 to be the right one at least if You compare to this foto below of a Italian 1962 car.

1. indicates the overriver that does not exted as low as the bumber "bottom line"
2. indicates the arch that is similar to earlier pictures bumber #5 arch but different than on #3.

Hopefully I can find few more verifying pictures and then send it for chroming.

-AS

Attachments

1 - 20 of 194 Posts