Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to canvas some informed opinion as I start planning and budgeting the restoration of my 101.12 Sprint.
I appreciate the options I have regards engine internals and head work, but am undecided whether the pursuit of DCOEs and all that entails is proportionate in terms of effort against benefit, or whether I should limit ambitions to a DCD replacement of the Solex.

I happen to have acquired what I believe is a veloce compatible airbox/intake albeit with 40 DCOE 44/45 attached. (Are these from a 1600 Junior/1600 Super and therefore suitable in theory?.)
I also have a NOS 28/36 DCD. Is that a viable option or does the application demand a 36/36.

Any know pro/cons or regrets welcome.

JIm

·
Registered
788 Posts
i will follow this with interest as I have a 101.12 sprint and am too contemplating the DCOE's. mainly worried about space as the veloce's had different engine mounts to tilt the engine. additionally mine is a rudspeed conversion to RHD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a Ruddspeed then I surmise its in a rarer place than mine.... So in one aspect would perhaps withstand an Abnormale upgrade.
Mine has what I believe has a rare treatment of the back seating (on the forum thanks to another member) which makes it a bit more special to me...but is all things said a Normale.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Installing DCOEs in a 750 or 101 Sprint or Spider definitely involves tilting the engine as the inner fender is way too close with the Normale engine mounts. It also involves using the original air filter arrangement or very shallow air filters such as ramflo foam filters as even tilting the engine does not allow enough room for filters with rectangular covers. In the days I had Giuliettas I considered DCOEs but the hardware was too hard to find. And I had a pair of Veloce mounts already!

All these parts are now available, but it depends how much you value originality and how much you want to spend.
Ramflo filters also do nothing to muffle engine roar which can be fun but tiring on long runs.

It also depends on what kind of power you want to extract of your engine. A pair of DCOEs can feed more air at high rpm than a 28/36 DCD which is rather close in size to the standard Solex, but has been widely used on Giulietta and Giulia with I think great results. It also has the advantage of tunability, part such as venturis in different sizes being available. The 36/36 would be an interesting upgrade; a friend used to have one on his BMW 2002 which he alternated with a 28/36 and said it was a great performance upgrade. Should be more than enough for a 1600.

Perhaps people who have done it will have more to say.

·
Registered
788 Posts
As a Ruddspeed then I surmise its in a rarer place than mine.... So in one aspect would perhaps withstand an Abnormale upgrade.
Mine has what I believe has a rare treatment of the back seating (on the forum thanks to another member) which makes it a bit more special to me...but is all things said a Normale.
unfortunately it means I have the steering column to contend with too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts