Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Yesterday I worked on a friends Giulia Sprints 3-shoes front brake system and we noticed that one of the shoes had more lateral play than the other two. It turned out that my friend used a piston on that shoe without Girling number on the housing, probably a repro, while the other two pistons were still original.

When checking the cause of the extra play that shoe has, we discovered that the slot of the repro plunger, that keeps the push rod of the shoe, is 7 mm wide while the original slots are only 4,5 mm.
We checked also the 5 other new spare repros as he bought them in a complete set of 6 pieces at an auto jumble, all slots are 7 mm wide.

Has anyone noticed the same difference between original and repro pistons or does my friend has been sold wrong repro pistons ?
Are there maybe two types of those shoe push rods at the plunger side ?

The refilling of the brake system would be for next week, so any advice would be appreciated.
We would like to know whether the 2,5 mm lateral play of the push rod in the slot of the piston instead of the 0,5 mm original play would be noticable and acceptable when using the brakes ?
Would the extra play have an effect on the parallelism of the shoe regarding the contact surface of the brake drum ?
The push rod is safely kept in place in the wider slot by the spring, it can't escape from the slot we thought.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Width of the slot shouldn't make any difference as the shoe is located by other means. The retraction springs keep the shoe against the backing plate and the guide post keeps the shoe even with the drum.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chas H,

Thank you for your input, confirming what we thought and saw about the spring. That is retaining the shoe where it belongs.
We will go for it .

Best regards,

Thierry

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Greig,

Yes, and thank you very much for the information.
Meanwhile, you should have received an E-mail too.
Rgds,

Thierry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts