Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
there’s an interesting twist (LOL) to the tale
The right rear footwell does appear to be slightly smooshed. Probably from some bottoming event (on a curb?), that probably smacked the transmission, that, then bent the snubber.
I guess, I know why the pass. door needs a huge slam to close. The driver side also needs good slam.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting alignment discussion. I have a 1976 Alfetta GT. I made sheet metal plates to mount on both the flywheel and the transaxle yoke. I found the center of each plate and drilled a little hole. I stretched a string between the flywheel center and the transaxle center. Then I used a protractor to measure the angle from the plate to the string. The engine was perfectly lined up with the transaxle. The 5 degree misalignment at the transaxle told me that the front mounts on the transaxle were shot. New transaxle mounts and voila, it is aligned as good as I can measure. No wonder the rear donut exploded,
Doss

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Interesting thread. First, regarding your door slamming. I imagine you'll find your door striker / latch pegs on the body are failed or failing. There is supposed to be a rubber bush as part of the striker and it's supposed to be nice n tight. I bet yours are not. This is a very common failure. You can replicate a new bushing or find a good used striker. You can unclasp the striker sheath, wrap vinyl electrical tape around the inside peg until you reach a good overall thickness and reclasp the sheath. Some fiddling necessary but I've repaired many this way on my own cars and the repairs hold up well. I've since purchased enough NOS strikers to get me through if my repairs fail but none of them have yet.

On the misalignment in general, I imagine quite a lot is actually allowed by using 3 flex discs. As long as the centering devices (spherical bearings) and flex discs are fairly fresh, things will stay pretty smooth. A dynamic observation of the alignment would be more interesting to me but I commend your efforts here as many transaxle owners likely have propshafts that require some kind of corrective work or maintenance. A simple way to check the static alignment might help troubleshooting and that's what you've done here so nice work.

Report your findings on the door strikers...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
sheet metal plates to mount on both the flywheel and the transaxle yoke
I like this method as an alternative, as I have yet to determine how to determine engine angle. To get a locus of points (of that circle, to make up for lack of concentricity/perpendicularity in machining), basically I would want to turn the engine with the laser pointer in place of the 26mm bushing hole of flywheel. Basically, I am reluctant to use the starter for this purpose at this time.

Also, I should have measured my driveshaft length, but lets assume 48" long and the 1" of error that I think I have:
asin(1/48)=.0208radian --> 2.39 degrees. Not so bad actually. And, yes to the guibo that has to make this angle is the one that will fail. The way it looks for my setup, I think the center guibo will take most of this, and I don't know engine angle yet.

A dynamic observation of the alignment
I want to know this too, I know the torque reaction will cause the transmission to rise and hit the snubber. At this time I am unwilling to get cameras (This would mean my Milano, as that is the driver, GTV6 has a ways to go) under there to see how much it moves. Meanwhile, my Milano is experiencing shifting issues, so I will be renewing the transmission mounts soon. It seems to stick (hard) as I try to do the 1-2 shift. I believe, I am grabbing the gear too quickly after (I swear it's after, it acts like it might be before) I push the clutch in. The transmission, probably needs to drop a bit to unbind that linkage. I will put the laser pointer on the trans at that time, but I know this car was hit in back (while I owned it) and probably had a right front hit (from previous owner(s)) as the door is a different shade.

I will check out the door strikers, but I was surprised to see the transmission snubber was bent, so my GTV6 had to take a good hit to bend that thing (M8 was size of threaded shaft).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Report your findings on the door strikers...
Yep, something needs to be fixed. Those rounded out fasteners are PO attempts at removing...I may have trouble and probably destroy......sooo.... more importantly, where can I get new fasteners? Hopefully they are countersink head type and 🤞not special.
And randomly.....I just received my Dayco 95120 (V6 timing belt), which I ordered 2 years ago!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Before drilling the head of the fastener of, you can tap a good quality torx socket of a minimal larger diameter with a hammer in the hole to get enough grip on the fastener and try to screw it out . This helped me more than once.

I must have some NOS fasteners and even maybe strikers but unfortunately, the shipping would be from Belgium, so be prepared !
Pictures if interested.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hi all,

Here, as promised, some pictures.
They seem to be the same as Carson's.
I guess shipping two fasteners from Belgium to the US would be crazy, isn't it
So better try to find them localy .

Best Regards,

Thierry

Hand Jewellery Button Circle Metal

Household hardware Wood Gas Metal Circle

Gas Metal Tints and shades Auto part Still life photography

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have this shift lever boot: I haven't been able to install it just yet. It seems I have to stretch it way past 200%. Is this the correct boot? Centerline indicates this boot for the Alfetta and GTV6 up to '83.
Automotive tire Gas Wood Auto part Metal

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Looks correct to me. Boiling water for the boot, lube for the shaft. Now would be a good time to clean and paint the shaft.

·
Registered
164 Posts
21 - 40 of 47 Posts